Tuesday, July 10, 2018

on the iphone || early summer

It seems my camera phone is getting out more and more these days as the kids are getting older and we seem to be adventuring more!  This weekend, we spent our afternoons on kayaks and biking around our city's wonderful trail system, and you just can't bring a big ol' camera along for things like that!  But while my phone is easy and convenient, the process of organizing, storing, and doing something with these camera snaps is the opposite!  I haven't found a good rhythm yet, but am at least trying to go through them more frequently.  From now on, that is. ;)

We leave on vacation this week and I realized I hadn't went through phone pictures since our London trip!  So without further adieu, here's what the phone's caught the last few months...

One last snowstorm and an April Sunday inside...again.  Little did we know, there was yet a no-school day coming later that week, something we didn't even think to consider while we were bouncing around Europe!


The morning we left on our trip.  We spoiled the kids with donuts, only for them to be spoiled for a week straight with grandpas, grandmas, aunts, uncles, and the "crazy aunts", as our college girls like to call themselves.


And we're back!  To sunny skies, warmer temps, and lots of weekends at the soccer field.


...Except for this weekend.  It was cold, but a perfect excuse to snuggle!


I got to attend a field trip with Cruz's first grade class to the Youth Pavilion.  I met a bunch of Cruz's friends, kept a few kids from falling out the bus window, and took a trip down memory lane as I remembered my own early elementary memories.  



Recital week!  A dreamy princess, a tough superhero girl, and a smile that made our hearts melt from atop that big stage at Gallagher.  




Bliss equals those two precious weeks I had in May after the end of my semester and before the kids were done with school.  Iced coffee in the Ninja, lots of porch hangs, and a big finish line in store of having this Bible read cover to cover.
  

And I started running.  Me.  I never ever thought my body was built to run, but I'm becoming mildly obsessed and am gaining distance and time every morning my feet hit the pavement.  There's no better way to start my day than on those trails.  

Here is me documenting that I actually did just run two miles without stopping.  This was a very big deal! 


Rainy day walks to get Cruz from school, and an umbrella straight from London.


The start of summer break, and a project.  This is for everyone who reads my blog and thinks my house is always put together.  Or for everyone who wishes they had a handy husband.  We spent about the first three weeks of summer trying to make sense of this.  A garage used as a wood shop during the winter months of basement finishing meant for a messy start to our summer cleanup.  But now we have a garage wall full of floor to ceiling cabinets to hide our sh&% and maybe keep it a little less exposed to sawdust.  



Sleepy boys on a Sunday night, probably during American Idol.  


The look I give Beau when he asks where we've been (hide the pillows, hide the books).  


Our official kickoff to summer vacation - a backyard camp-out on a beautiful night.  







And the start of a much slower pace around here, complete with fiction books, porch naps, and an endless supply of freeze pops.  




Creativity box play - just the way to spend a rainy June morning.  


The start of summer reading at the library.  Mila was accessorized appropriately with her reading specs.  



Oops...another Target run.


Exploring Cruz's new school home.  It's a short walk from our house and it's made for a fun stop for picking around and catching a good sunset.  This particular night we scoped out newly delivered playground equipment outside and fresh carpet inside.  It won't be long now...





We chased the sunset after VBS one night.  It was such an Iowa summer thing to do and so good that we vowed to do it again.  And again and again.    



We had a week of rain in the middle of June, and I kind of loved it.  It was hot out, and the rain made for the perfect opportunity to play.  These kids entertained themselves with umbrellas for a week straight.  There were forts constructed, light saber fights pretended, and Mary Poppins' flying attempted.  And I think all except about two of the umbrellas lived to tell about it!  





Took advantage of the rainy weather and saw the Incredibles 2.  It was worth the fourteen year wait!


Kicked off this Saturday morning in our neighborhood with Donuts on Donald.  We love this young community and are trying to persuade Nate to set up the Sidecar truck every Saturday morning. ;)


Sturgis Falls weekend.  After riding lots of rides at the carnival Friday night, we moseyed around the concert venues Sunday afternoon while Cruz was swimming with a friend.  We sipped on strawberry smoothies, listened to Brad and Kate, and waved at the train going by, just as Brad was singing Johnny's Folsom Prison.  




An afternoon of painting and Mozart.  




All my planters are living their best life right now.  It's quite colorful around here!




Uncle Taylor spent a few days with us and we loved spoiling him during his stay.  We ate supper on the deck, played catch and jumped on the trampoline, got ice cream well past bedtime, and chased a sunset all the way to the middle of nowhere.  The gravel road was peaceful and quiet and the sunset was so pretty.  I wanted the night to hold still and last just a little longer.  


We spent a few days in dentist chairs in June, and Mila started July with one less tooth to show for it!  But she was in good hands and became quite familiar with Dr. Jamie's treasure chest!



Cruz learned to ride a bike this summer.  Our cul de sac made for a great practice course.  


Post pool Four Queens stops for ice cream and milkshakes.  






A first Friday morning run with Cruz.  We had signed up for the color run but hadn't actually ran together.  And while I thought he was going to get bored or run out of steam before me since I had been running up to that point and he hadn't, I fully underestimated my kids' stamina.  There I was, huffing and puffing and panting uphill and Cruz had barely broken a sweat.  And he didn't stop talking the entire run!  It had rained quite a bit the night before and we had to run through one area that was completely flooded!  With soaked toes and big grins, we had one fun morning together. 


And the next day we ran a 5K!  It was so hot, but our Kids Bop playlist and the boxes of Rockets' Donuts waiting at the finish line got us through.  And our adorable cheering section!  After our race, we went to Newtons and had pancakes and breakfast pizza.  When Beau suggested we sit outside to eat, I thought he wanted to enjoy the morning.  Little did I know, he didn't want to expose the restaurant crowd to Cruz and I's sweaty funk. :)    






Another season of my cut flower garden.  This year is even more fun that last year!  And every week there is something new popping up.  







Pool kids are cool kids.  





Pizza at the ballpark, and a little pink bat ready for its very first tee ball season.  She drew a lot of things in the dirt with it, so so far it's been a great investment.    


Giving Mila a glimpse of what the outfield is all about. ;)






A summertime Friday night with the neighbors.  A driveway full of chalk, boys vs. dads in basketball, and some sparklers after dusk.  




We got a new basketball hoop and it's rivaled the trampoline for the most usage already.  Cruz is out there every day and his dad is a close second.  I love getting home from my run to find them out here playing a game of Horse before work.  


A beautiful Saturday morning at the farmer's market.  Smoothie bowls with homemade peanut butter, breakfast burritos, and the best blueberry and pineapple bread.  


We rented a couple of kayaks at George Wyth yesterday and had the best afternoon on the water.  It was my first time in a kayak and I was quite nervous at first, almost backing out and going with a canoe instead.  Man am I thankful Beau pushed me out of my comfort zone!  We celebrated afterwards with my favorite sour from Singlespeed.  


And then Mila fell asleep on the porch!  She slept for two hours out here, from 4-6 at night.  We all decided she most definitely won the afternoon.  



And we closed out our Saturday night with The Greatest Showman on a perfect summer night.  Both kids fell asleep early and I was the last one up, watching the fire burn out under a quiet night sky full of twinkly stars.  



And to close out this post, a family bike ride, our first one with Cruz on two wheels!  He did awesome, starting at George Wyth and ending up at Pheiffer.  Next time, we'll make it to Mulligans! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...