Monday, November 5, 2018

Our Fall Weekend Getaway || Part 2


I woke up early Saturday morning, tiptoed downstairs to brew my Dunning Springs Soul coffee I had picked up the day prior, and bundled up to go catch the sunrise.  Our cabin was perfectly positioned to take it all in, even from our bedroom window, and I did my best to ignore the wild wind that had already started and drink in the painting God was about to create right before my eyes.  I sipped my coffee slow, let the cold air fill my lungs, and drank in the great big world around me.








And then it was inside for a morning with my crew.  One of the things we wanted was a really slow morning at home.  Beau and I both struggle with stillness.  We're doers, through and through, and even if we find ourselves with a free day or weekend, it's not long before we begin brainstorming the next thing to do or project to start.  So one of our priorities for our cabin getaway was to do nothing!  We knew the kids would love the cabin more than anything we did outside of it, so we spent the majority of the morning just going slow.  I made a french toast bake and we sat around the table together, did a fall puzzle and built legos, and the kids made up "secret handshakes" in the upstairs loft together.  And then they had a blast throwing their socks on our heads over and over and over again. :) 













We finally headed into town around lunchtime, grabbed delicious cheese curds and watched the Iowa game before checking out some of the cute shops on Water Street.  We smelled candles and read books, tried on outdoor vests and tried out all the gel pens, and soon ended our shopping adventure with a hike in and around Dunning Springs.   

















Our hike ended with a pit-stop at the new Toppling Goliath brew house just outside of town.  We ordered flights, played UNO, and devoured a plate of nachos.  And soon enough, we were ready to settle back in to our cabin for the night.  











After a night of baked potato soup and bread, followed by popcorn and a movie, we woke up to sunny skies and much calmer winds for our Sunday.  We packed up our cabin and hit the road into town for one more day of exploring, this time on the leaf-covered Trout Run Trail.




It was just us and the deer!  I quietly celebrated when the kids were more motivated by the crazy amounts of leaves on the ground than the playground in the distance, and Beau and I joined in to build them an impressive leaf pile to play in.  And we played, too!


























And before we hit the road home, we had ice cream.  Goodness, it was a good weekend away these people.  Sometimes, you just gotta run away from the normal, and reconnect in a little cabin in the woods.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...