Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Wardrobe Overhauls and Forty for Forty Updates


Last weekend, Beau was helping me with some laundry and was in our back closet hanging up some of my clothes.  I didn't think much of this until he came in the living room and asked, "Guess how many items of clothing you have hanging in our closet?" with a smirk on his face.

...

Now before I tell you the answer, I will justify (like I did with him) that I hang up pretty much everything.  All four seasons, sweatshirts, t-shirts, dresses, sweaters, work clothes, lounge clothes, you name it.  But I am also good (or I thought I was good) at weeding through clothes pretty often.  So when I guessed 180 and Beau laughed at my response, even I was shocked to hear my final.

320.

Yes, almost one thing to wear for every day of the year.  And what is really sad is that I probably wear about one tenth of that.  

But here is what's fun about this whole closet realization thing.  Beau didn't shame me, but instead inspired me on to what I'm now calling my 2020 Wardrobe Overhaul.  Every day for a year, I am going to wear something new from my closet.  And I'm going to attempt to add nothing new to it!  Whether I love it or not, I'm going to live in an outfit for a day and decide whether it gets to stay at the end of it.  Beau, Cruz, and Mila will help me decide whether it stays, goes, or becomes a maybe, to which I will hang all maybes in a section of my closet to go through at the end of the month.  To help me keep track, I've already turned every single hanger backwards and once items that stay are washed, I will hang them the right way.  I started Sunday and already have 1 keep, 2 maybes, and 1 lose.  I sort through my closet a couple times a year, but have found that it's always hard to make decisions on what stays and what goes where I'm working with the whole thing.  This is a fun little challenge that takes no time, and also pushes me to give everything a shot and be creative with what I already own.  And my hope by the end of next year?  A closet that's cut IN HALF.  At least!

I've learned a lot about self-identity this past year, especially thanks to the enneagram which type-casted me as a successfully struggling 3.  And my 3-ness really comes out in areas like my closet overhaul.  I actually love tasks that involve planning and organizing my life, especially when I can create little systems that I can list and manage and weave into a rhythm that helps me feel disciplined and accomplished.  And there are so many areas of my life that reveal this!  When I was a little girl, I used to start a "Christmas planning list" at home.  Starting around October, I would cross things off a list as I readied our home for Christmas.  I'd collect all the Christmas books and store them in a pile in Taylor's room, reading him one every night until Christmas.  I'd clean out junk drawers, organize movie drawers, and put up a little Christmas tree in our basement family room to create a pretty space to enjoy for the holidays.  That is what I did "for fun" when I was 7.  And I still do that for fun. :) 

And most recently, I drafted a 40 Before 40 Bucket List on my 35th birthday, including 40 things I'd like to do in the next five years.  And then, I figured out a plan for doing them. :)  Every month, I pick a focus area.  I coined "Skin Care September" as my first month's focus.  I made an appointment at the dermatologist to get a full body scan for moles, and discussed options for a manageable skin care regimen.  I went through all my old products and got rid of a bunch, and ordered a new line I am absolutely loving.  And at the end of the month, I treated myself to my very first facial at Jiva!  I've seen improvements in my skin already and have mostly followed better habits of washing my face at night and applying sunscreen in the morning.  

Last month, we rented a cozy cabin in the woods and enjoyed The Head and the Heart in Ames, their new album and that song Honeybee playing on repeat all fall.  And we started a "Kindness Jar" to document little acts of kindness we can sprinkle throughout our weeks.  The kids got in on this too, Mila using her love of coloring to make lots of cards for people she appreciates at her new school.  

And this month, I started a neighborhood book club.  This was such a fun yes.  I devoured Daisy Jones and the Six, loved the characters and style and story of this book so much, and waited in anticipation all month to gather some ladies here to drink some wine and talk about it.  I played Fleetwood Mac, made some pumpkin bars and charcuterie, and sat in our living room for hours with both new and familiar faces to dig deep into a book and laugh a whole lot while doing it.  Kari should be sending our next book title today and that text will feel like Christmas.  Although I have a feeling Daisy Jones is going to stay with me for awhile...  




"We love broken, beautiful people.  And it doesn't get much more obviously broken and more classically beautiful than Daisy Jones."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...