Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 is Here

2011 is here.  After three-plus hours, my Christmas decor is stashed away for another year and my living room is clean, cozy, and ready for spring (I know, I'm getting a little ahead of myself).  Taking Christmas down is always a little bittersweet, but every year, I'm pleasantly surprised with how roomy our living room looks without a massive tree in front of the picture window.  Tonight, the three of us are hibernating in the house, piled under blankets, getting ready to start our second movie of the night.  Are You My Mother has been read twice, candles are lit, and popcorn is popping away in the microwave.

2011 is here and we're off to a great start.

Last night was our first official 'night out' since Cruz has been born.  I haven't been too keen on leaving him for too long yet, but thought NYE was a good start.  Grandma and Grandpa Jorgensen came to ring in the new year with our little man, and left us to enjoy a night out in Cedar Falls. 

I took my time getting ready.  Spent extra time on my mascara, tried on three pair of heels, and tucked a fresh tube of lip gloss in my purse.  I sipped a mojito, devoured my favorite raspberry chipotle pasta, and enjoyed lots of adult conversation at Montage before ending the rest of the night at the Voodoo Lounge. 



I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss our little man, that I didn't think about calling every hour to see what he was doing, and that I didn't feel extremely old in a bar filled with lots of skinny college girls.  At one point when Kelli and were discussing breast feeding and daycare in the line to the bathroom, I caught one girl staring at me with a look of utter disbelief.  Funny.  I guess you can't disguise motherhood, no matter how cute your dress is ;).




We played darts and took turns trying on Starbuck's sports jacket.  We ordered melon fishbowls, sang along to the DJ, and discussed the length (or lack thereof) of girls' skirts.  At midnight, we made our way to the dance floor, counted away another year, and shared a kiss to mark a new one.  And after we made our way to Pablos, ate some tacos, and made friends with a few strangers, we made our way home to slip a kiss to a baby, sound asleep in his crib.  

I have high hopes for 2011.  I'm not sure what God has in store for us; however, one thing is for sure.  2011 will be a journey and I'm ready for the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...