Friday, October 20, 2017

A Fall Weekend at Home


This weather this week has been a dream.  I was starting to wonder if we were going to see fall this year at all when Cruz's birthday weekend came around and it seemed the leaves were still green and the temperatures bounced between the eighties and forties.  I blame it on the pumpkin spice latte!  We get so impatient for the next big thing and start to wear our sweaters and buy our pumpkins in August now instead of October.  And then we wonder why the temperatures haven't changed along with our agendas.  Maybe if I started to call September what it is, a late summer month of transitions, busy work schedules, and the start of kids' homework and activities, I would do a better job of living in that season for what it is rather than feeling like I'm missing out on a Pinterest fall.  Life has been hectic, but good, and although I haven't gotten out those boots yet or made butternut squash soup or purchased my first red Starbucks cup of the season (already?), God is showing me a different kind of fall, one where I abide, listen, and feel him changing me like the leaves that are just now showing their color.



As much as I have loved the sunshine and seventies this week, there is something I love even more about the cold, dreary, and wonderful weekends we've been having.  We had nowhere to be except a soccer game last Saturday, so we turned on the fire, lit some candles, and made some pancakes while it rained off and on all day long.  I tended to laundry and kids bickering, helped find lost Lego pieces, and checked on Beau in the basement often as he continues to make progress on our space.  My cozy morning was interrupted with a soccer game in the rain, but even that was fun as Mila stayed home in her pjs with Beau and I put on my poncho and wellies and joined our fun team on a soaked field to laugh and make the best of it.  Then Cruz and I stopped at Target for all the ingredients for a cozy night tucked away at home.  We made homemade pizzas, wore our pajamas and Cubs hats, and snuggled on the couch to watch the Cubs in another NLCS post-season match up.  We made an easy s'mores dessert with Halloween peeps Cruz found at Target, and corralled the kids to fall asleep on the couch because we didn't want to miss the game.















  
Sunday brought another cold and breezy day, and we stayed at the home front once again.  I had soup on the brain and made up a deliciously rich baked potato soup that simmered on the stove top all afternoon.  The kids played outside, we did some crafting, and my favorite part of the afternoon involved a big sweater blanket, a mug of cider, and a book in my favorite place on our front porch.  Cruz joined me for a game of Battleship, and then we all dunked big pieces of asiago bread in soup bowls and awaited another Cubs start (and loss). 














I'm still hoping for a few more "fall" adventures before we are forced inside for the long winter, but mostly hoping to live deeply in the here and now God calls me to.  Pumpkin spice latte or not. :)

          

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...