Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Spring Spa Day with Beautycounter


You know those things we are so good at putting on the back burner, but then every time we do them we realize just how important they are?  There are two things I never regret making the time for as a parent - true self-care and special one-on-one time with the kids.  For instance, I don't know why, but I have such a hard time taking the three minutes at the end of the day to just wash my face, although when I do get in a rhythm of doing this, those three minutes completely change my attitude at the end of another long day.  I feel refreshed, more confident, and obviously notice an affect on my skin.  So when my friend, Jen Schroeder, asked me if I would be interested in partnering with her this month to share the story of Beautycounter, the idea was sparked to make this an opportunity to spend a much needed afternoon with my Mila girl, refreshing and prepping for spring.  









It's no secret we all use dozens of products every single day.  Shampoo and conditioner in the shower, dish soap and laundry detergent in our homes, and concealer, mascara, mosturizer, and lip gloss on our faces.  We douse our kids in sunscreen to protect them from the sun, and don't think twice about the lotion we lather them up in to keep their skin hydrated and baby soft.  If we think about it at all, we assume the products we purchase are safe to use because we live in a country that puts regulations on everything.  But when we start to peel back the curtain on some of these things we use on our bodies or in our homes everyday, it's hard to not think twice.  Beau was just reading an article the other day that linked prolonged use of cleaning supplies to the equivalent of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for the same amount of time.  While most of us know that cleaning supplies that carry amounts of ammonia and bleach can be harmful to one's body, what is perhaps most astonishing (and disturbing) is that manufacturers of such products are not required by law to provide a list of the chemicals included in their products.  Say what?!? 









The same is unfortunately true for the products we put on our bodies.  Decades of studies are now showing links between serious health issues and an ongoing exposure to toxic chemicals - whether it's in the shower, what we eat for lunch, or what we use to clean our homes.  And maybe most disturbing is that there is currently no law that requires personal care companies to disclose the chemicals used to make them.  In fact, companies are allowed to use harmful ingredients and make their own judgments about safety.  There is also no regulation for companies who choose to list their products as "organic", "natural", or "non-toxic."  So those products you take pride in buying at Target, Trader Joes, or wherever could very well be selling a false product because there's no current regulation holding them accountable.  The United States has not passed a major federal law to regulate the safety of ingredients in personal care products since 1938.  While our friends in Europe have banned over 1,300 harmful products in the last twenty years, the U.S. has banned 30.  Hmmm...  

Beautycounter is about making clean beauty both its brand and its mission.  They have a number of skin care and cosmetic products that are safe to use, and they empower women on the ground to sell products in a personalized way where women can advocate, empower, and educate.  Beautycounter is not only passionate about educating women in their lives, but are working with Congress to advocate for more restrictions in this industry.  They feature the "Never List" on their website, a list of 1,500 chemicals they promise to never include in their products.  They have products for skincare and cosmetics, men and women, and an amazing kids line that features best-selling and safe shampoo, conditioner, and sunscreen.  

To learn more about Beautycounter, CEO and founder, Gregg Renfrew was just featured on The Today Show, and they have a short and super informative video on their website here.













And did I mention that their products are amazing?  I'm not going to lie, at first, the price seemed steep.  But then I realized I pay about that or more for "organic" products for the kids and myself and still can't be sure they are actually safe for my family.  In my quest to live a freer life in many ways this year, one of those ways is on cutting back the amount of "product" we use in this house and on our bodies.  I've had great luck with natural cleaning products, we've taken big steps toward cleaner and greener eating habits, and now I'm committed to being more intentional about saying goodbye to product overkill and instead using a few safer and better products on our bods.  









Now to the fun part.  One Sunday afternoon, Mila and I escaped to the bathroom, put on our bathrobes, and indulged in a spa day.  We soaked our feet in a homemade soak of epsom salt, lavender oil, and pretty flower petals, listened to music, shared a fruit plate, and read some girly books.  We scrubbed our hands and feet with a homemade sugar scrub of sugar, coconut oil, fresh lemon juice, and dried lavender, and lathered up with Beautycounter's citrus mimosa body butter.  Our bathroom smelled amazing!  And if that wasn't enough to make us feel ready to conquer the world, we capped off our spa retreat with some facial masks.  I made Mila an edible one of oatmeal, greek yogurt, and honey, and it smelled, tasted, and felt delicious!  It was the cutest thing watching her in the mirror and I still can't believe she did it!












And as for me, I used my current fave Beautycounter product, the Charcoal Balancing Facial Mask. If you are considering a purchase of anything Beautycounter, consider this my plug for their mask.  It's incredible!  First, I washed my face with their Nourishing Cream Exfoliator.  Then, I applied the mask and let it set for ten minutes.  It opens up my pores, cleans out all the gunk, and leaves my skin glowing.  I've used other charcoal products before, and this one is by far the best.

If you are intrigued and/or interested in trying any Beautycounter products, go to my social link here (simply click Ashley's April Social at the bottom of the page).  And to lure you to a decision that's good for you and your family, if you purchase through this social in the month of April, I will enter your name in to win your own Charcoal Balancing Facial Mask.  Purchase a $100 or more and you will receive a set of makeup remover wipes (a $20 value).  These wipes won't show up in your cart but will be mailed to you separately in May! 

Here's to starting spring with a fresh face and a fresh reminder of small changes we can make to take better care of ourselves.   





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...