Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Cruz Does First Grade


We have been nonstop celebrating since this past weekend!  Our anniversary was Saturday, Beau's birthday was yesterday, and today is the last day of school and the start of all things summertime!  I told the kids last night that if a genie granted me three wishes, I would definitely ask for a can of spray that would allow me to stop them from growing!  And this morning, as Mila and I dropped Cruz off at school and we both watched him turn that one extra time to wave at us, Mila sighed and said, "Aww, why does he have to grow up???"  We're feeling all the feels over here today, thankful for another successful year of school, the blessing of good friends and one fabulous teacher, and that familiar ache in my heart that comes with watching them grow so very fast.  




Cruz, you had such a wonderful year of first grade!  I got the funniest note from your teacher last week.  On Thursdays, your class writes "Tremendous Thursday" notes of affirmation to people at Southdale.  You wrote your kindergarten teacher, whom we loved, a note that said this: Dear Mrs. Ferguson, I'm glad I was in your class, but...I've learned more in first grade.  See? 50+12=62.  Luckily, Mrs. Ferguson has a great sense of humor and is quite used to the honesty of little people!  Kindergarten was a HUGE year for you, but first grade was its match!  From bigger math problems to longer chapter books, a yellow folder filled with imaginative stories and nonfiction writing prompts, and a year full of memories with great friends and funny stories to go with them, you've shined bright this year and made us very proud of who you are.  And in the middle of it all was your teacher, Mrs. Plate.  We couldn't have asked for a teacher better suited for you.  She was not only a fantastic teacher who taught you so much, but she saw your heart.  Last week, we received a letter from her about you.  She writes a letter to every parent about their child, a testament alone.  I won't include the entire letter on here, but I will include this part: Mr. Cruz is a special kid, he has a heart the size of Texas and he is so empathetic towards other children.  That is something I rarely see in 1st graders.  He picks up on things that most do not...I am going to miss his personality, his smile, and his silliness.  

This letter made me cry, because Mrs. Plate saw everything we pray you will be as you grow up in school.  You're a smart cookie, but to hear you shined your light and loved others well, well, that's the good stuff.

Next year will be a new year, a new start as a 2nd grader at a brand new building in our backyard, Aldrich Elementary School.  There is exciting stuff on the horizon, but for today we're thankful and a little sad to say goodbye to these two sweet years of Southdale Elementary.  We couldn't have asked for a better launch pad for these first two.




Happy Last Day of 1st Grade, Cruz!  Tonight, we're going to celebrate with s'mores and a sleep under the stars.  In our own backyard!  And I might even let you burn a few of your school papers in the fire. ;)

First Day to Last Day.  I hadn't realized just how much older Cruz looks!



Today...

        



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...