Friday, June 1, 2018

Summer Balm for my Soul


I am in a bit of a season of unrest, which is quite ironic because this is supposed to be the most "restful" season, or month, of my year.  Blame it on more quiet time to let my mind wander, more space to fill, or all the physical de-cluttering that's been going on around here, but this month has been filled with more worry, fear, and restlessness than I care to admit.  

But thanks to some truth shared by good friends on an otherwise typical Thursday morning at Panera, as well as a forgotten dose of truth from yours truly, I feel God grabbing the wheel and turning a corner this morning, just as we turn the corner and say goodbye to another school year, and hello to another summer at home.

1. God simply wants my presence.  

I've found that when I get in these bouts of unrest, it's easy to pull away from my relationship with God.  I retreat, fall into bad habits, or take control of matters and put them within the context of this world as an attempt to make sense or justify how I'm feeling.  But I've tasted and seen and know that going to God is always good, but it takes being intentional to get there.  Recognizing when I drift, then taking steps to climb back up those steps and into God's presence is what He asks of me.  He wants me to see my limits, so that I can rely on His power.  And then, He wants me to have faith to believe in His plan and purpose for me.  Just like Peter in that boat, I see Jesus' outstretched arm and a twinkle in his eye as he says Oh ye of little faith.  And what happened immediately after those words?  "Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm" (Matthew 8:26).  

Rebekah Lyons writes "Jesus' love draws us in for one thing: to come into his presence and his rest, to stop working and doing and striving, and to remain in him.  And when we do come, the Vine pulls us close and tethers us to himself.  There is no limit to the life flowing from the Vine to the branch.  And the greatness doesn't stop there.  This tethering becomes our provision, meaning all the nutrients of heaven are offered to us right now, to renew us and bring us back to life.  When we rest in him, when we abide in him, he brings us into a fruit-producing life that feeds and nourishes others.  Fruit never grows from our efforts alone; it grows according to the measure we let God grow it in us."  What a freeing, beautiful relief it is to know that God only asks my presence, and he takes care of the rest.           

2. See the abundance in this place.

All it takes is a mind shift.  In seasons of unrest, it's easy to focus on the lack - areas of life that feel messy or unsettled, or situations that lead to worry or fear.  I like things tied up with a neat, predictable bow on top and sometimes invest my time and energy on those things instead of all the beauty and wonder around me.  Jesus puts this pretty clear in John 10:10 when he says, "A thief comes to steal and kill and destroy, but I have come so that you may have life and have it abundantly."  

There are two ways to live - a way that sees the abundance and a way that sees the lack.  We honor God when we go to him with our presence, our prayers and petitions, and a heart wired in thanksgiving. 

3. Lay aside my own agenda, and serve simply in love.

I have been a self-proclaimed “planner” for a long time, and sometimes find that my desire for a well-executed plan takes priority over pretty much everything else in life.  That was one of the reasons I was drawn to the Anchored Press planner over a year ago, for it weaved God's word and insight from other women believers into the daily plans and to-dos of daily life.  

Then early last year, Anchored Press put out a call for everyday, ordinary women to consider contributing for the 2018 planner.  After many prayers and drafts on paper, I wrote what was on my heart and sent it in.  And it was accepted.  It was a humbling experience to know that women I don't even know, from all over the place, might be reading and finding some truth in my words.  After the start of another calendar year, and the slow demise of my best laid plans for schedules and structure in my planner, I neglected to open my planner.  And then early this week, thanks to two reminders from Mom and Kate, I realized I had almost missed my featured week!

Rereading these words were like healing balm to my soul, a gentle reminder to lay aside my agenda, humble myself to see others God has placed in my field, and serve them simply in love.  This is our call - To walk confidently to the throne of God, rest in his presence, see the joy and abundance in our place, and give that away to others.  What a beautiful reminder to impress on my heart as we head into summer.        


  



This morning, Cruz and I walked to the bus stop.  He told me he had P.E. today and I asked him his favorite thing to do in P.E.  And I listened and responded with interest as he gave me a five minute rendition of line tag.  I lingered with the bus stop friends, did a Mad Lib with Jaycie, and smiled and waved to Ed our bus driver, remembering we should treat him to a little something special next week.  And as I walked home, I praised God for the warm sunshine on my face, the green grass under my feet, and the opportunity to start every day in a new way.

So here's to a summer of seeing my abundance.  Of slowing down, releasing my grip on what I try to control, and connecting with what is happening right in front of me.  I want to look my people in the eye, walk slower, take longer, and notice where I am.   

Abundance in a precious girl and the wonder of bubbles...      






Abundance in a semi-clean home, a tub of store-bought cookie dough, and the opportunity to treat my friend and her kids. 




Abundance in a colored quilt on the porch, and an after school snack of cookies and a refreshing glass of milk.















Abundance in iced coffee, God's word, and birds singing from the front porch.



Today's challenge - What are five things bringing you JOY today?    

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...