Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Fall Bucket List Time


I've still got one more late summer adventure to document, but I wanted to get my fall bucket list on here before we cross everything off!  We make these bucket lists in the summer to keep us creative and help us make the most of our days at home, but I've found once school begins and all the activities start back up, I maybe need these little bucket lists even more.  Life can be so fast, and this little visual on my chalkboard is my everyday reminder to slow down and truly live well in each season we get.  Because we only get so many!  

It's hard to beat summertime for me because I'm afforded days off from work and much time to be home, but the older I get, the more I love fall and even the cold, long winters that follow.  Summer calls us out, while the last few months of the year call us back in.  In to the comforts of a safe place to land at the end of every day.  In to a slower pace and excuses to rest, retreat, and snuggle.  In to food and drinks that you sip, candles that you light, and people that you gather around your table.  In to home, my favorite place to be.  

Beau has been gone this week on a work trip, and I have secretly relished my nights to myself.  Monday night, after tucking the kids in their beds, I retreated down to our cozy basement space, curled up under my favorite blanket, devoured a plate of apple crisp, and watched one of my favorite movies, Julie and Julia.  I've always connected with Julie Powell's character in the movie and her attempts to learn as much about herself as the cooking when she decides to cook through Julia Child's entire cookbook in one year.  She didn't have to sign up for this endeavor, and could have wandered through her life punching the clock and doing the same ol' motions as she always did.  But she did it for the experience of it all.  To be intentional, to add excitement, and challenge, and live deeply in something she truly loved to do.  And as simple as it sounds, that's what these silly little bucket lists are to me.  I've always been a seasons girl and sure love creating a place that reflects that.  


"You know what I love about cooking?  I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick.  That's such a comfort."         





We've already checked off a few items from our list.  

1) We spent a very rainy Labor Day Sunday in one of our favorite places, Barnes and Noble.  We dressed in our cozies, grabbed stacks of books and curled up to read in the back corner of the kids' section, and sipped hot cocoas before we dodged a downpour and made our way back home.  There are few things that feel more fall than a stack of books and a bookstore.  














2) We've been sprucing up our back deck to use the space better and added a couple of rocker chairs, a propane firepit table, and a comfy couch that will now allow for more naps. :)  I love having a fire with the push of a button and the warmth it provides will extend our deck life into the cold and crisp fall nights I love so much.  We roasted marshmallows the other night in our pjs and afterwards, Beau and I toasted our own stay-at-home date with seven and sevens.   













3) A cozy fall night with a favorite flick.  




4) And lastly, a night at the apple orchard.  More on this to come!









What do you love most about this season?  For more ideas, see last year's bucket list, as well as my favorite fall playlist on Spotify.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...