Tuesday, September 11, 2018

One Final Summer Getaway || Adventureland


We spent our last official Sunday of summer break on a little family adventure to Adventureland!  Neither Beau nor I had been to Adventureland in years, and now that we have reached a stage with two kids above 42" tall (we determined 42 and 48 inches are the rites of passage for ride goers), we decided this was the summer to try it.  The four free tickets from a client of Beau's didn't hurt either!  






Because we had just done Lost Island a couple of days prior, we decided to forgo the water park and just stick with the rides.  And ride we did, for the next eight hours straight!








Few things had changed since my last visit to this beloved Iowa theme park.  The Tornado and Outlaw still scare the daylights out of me, not because of the thrill of the roller coasters, but the age of them!  Let's just say standing in line for a ride next to the Outlaw and hearing some of creaking noises as the carts make their way around the wooden frame made me glad I had already checked that one off the list for the day!  The Raging River still has incredibly long lines for a very underwhelming 45 second ride, the Space Shot still makes me pee my pants a little, and anything that remotely spins, including that Lighthouse ride that I regretted the moment I buckled myself in beside Mila, are enough to make my stomach turn!  I feel like it gets worse the older I get!  Give me a roller coaster any day, but the Tilt-a-Whirl?  Makes me queasy just thinking about it!

The kids, however, blew me away all day with their fearlessness!  Beau and Cruz started on the Monster, Adventureland's newest roller coaster, and this one proved to be the highlight of the day.  Cruz's face in the second picture made me a little nervous, but he went on it three more times afterwards!  That first drop, though! 





Mila wasn't tall enough for the Monster, but we did get her on the Tornado, the Outlaw, and the Galleon.  Every time I argued with Beau regarding whether she was quite ready for a ride, she proved me wrong.  She shrilly scream could be heard throughout the park, but the excitement in her eyes assured me they were screams of thrill, not terror!






















The following pictures sum up the highlight of our day.  Mila wanted to try the Galleon, a ride I've never particularly been a fan of.  I tried to talk her out of it, but she wasn't having any of it.  I chose to sit out, giving me a front row seat to her unsolicited reaction throughout the entire ride.  She screamed through the entire thing, then begged to go on it again.  And again.  And again!  Six times in a row, I believe, and then cried when we finally said enough!  My favorites?  The last two pictures, when the kids kicked Dad out of their seat and he entertained me with his posing!











It was a day well spent with my brave gang of thrill seekers.  Next year, I might just pick the zoo! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...