Saturday, March 28, 2020

The Quarantine Chronicles || Chapter 5 - Ashley


What do Lego Masters challenges, noodle sorts, and eggs soaking in bowls of vinegar have in common you ask?!  Somehow, they've all become curricular topics of study this week at one of the many new schools springing around our country.  Our school, The Jorgensen Academy of Excellence, reluctantly opened its doors this Monday and we are having a whole lot of fun learning together and making a few mistakes and messes along the way.  I feel like I'm in my first year of teaching all over again - trying lots of new things, ditching what doesn't work and strengthening what does, observing so much about my little learners, and going to bed fulfilled and exhausted every night!  I've been having a lot of fun creating a schedule that works well for us, getting a firsthand look at what Cruz and Mila are learning and the unique learners they are, and setting aside time in my day to do the things I often don't have time for - like reading Harry Potter to Cruz during my morning coffee and getting outside together before we start dinner.  My goal has been to create a mix of the kind of learning they're used to at school, lots of hands-on learning that they don't always get at school, and lots of home-based learning that is just as important as the other stuff.  Oh and lots of board games, movies, and outside play (as soon as the sunshine is released from quarantine!).  So far, the kids wake up every morning excited to get started and I'd like to think they're pretty fond of their new teacher. :)  






A few fun memories from our first week of home-school...

-Every morning, after we all get ready for our day and Cruz and I read some Harry Potter together, I carve out space to do some of my own work.  During this time, I've been giving the kids "center time" with different spontaneous challenges to work through together.  Monday, they had to create a Lego car wash for their Hot Wheels.  Tuesday, they had to construct a water park with marble towers and Magnatiles.  Wednesday, they had to see how many puzzles they could put together in an hour and then sort to decide which ones they didn't want anymore.  They then got to sell them and use the money they earned ($14, thanks Sell and Swap!) to purchase a new puzzle.  When I explained the project to them, Cruz responded, "So basically you're making us sort?"  

Why yes, buddy, did you think this was all about YOU?!

These little challenges have given them some independence, allowed me to get some work done, and I've witnessed so many good cooperative learning and problem solving skills along the way.  This morning's challenge was to create a maze out of Jenga blocks.  Not only did they succeed and create a great maze, but they made signs and played theme music for me as I tried out the maze.  I love to see what they come up with when they're given a prompt and the space to use their creativity and imaginations. 

-I'm a big fan of inquiry based learning and wanted to spend time teaching them to ask big questions, to investigate and explore a topic they're passionate about, and then present some products to each other.  Every Tuesday, we are going to work on our "Passion Projects."  Cruz chose Greek Mythology, Mila chose owls, and I picked gardening.  Yesterday, I curled up with Mila on the couch and we learned about tiny Elf Owls and silly Oriental owls.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with for a project.  

-Mila sorted a bowl of noodles while I made lunch the other day.  She showed me how she could organize them in piles of ten, and then counted by tens to determine the total number.  Then she had fun quizzing her dad and brother, carrying around her little clipboard and asking for their predictions.

-We went on an ABC walk through the neighborhood yesterday, taking turns identifying all the letters of the alphabet on street signs, license plates, and electrical boxes.  We found everyone but Q!

-Let's not discount chore time and home economics!  The kids have sorted laundry, cleaned the toilet, washed dishes, watered plants, and taken out the garbage.  Cruz even folded Beau's underwear with a tongs. :)

-We had SO much fun doing our first little science experiment today, some super easy, EGG-cellent tricks that truly blew our minds.  We learned and used words such as observation and hypothesis as we tried lots of different activities with a dozen eggs, some salt, and some vinegar.  I even made a little video of our fun!



  
-And when we got a little tired or started bouncing off the walls a bit, we rested!  We popped popcorn, ate Sour Patch Kids and watched Aladdin in the middle of the day, and went to our rooms to play when we just needed a little break.  My favorite part of this whole thing has definitely been watching Cruz and Mila together.  They have relied on each other for friendship and fun these past few weeks and I'm so proud of them.  They're closer than ever and I sure love that they have each other. 

  
Week 1 is in the books and we're all here for it!  I think Beau is the only one of us starting to lose it.  His enneagram 7 ways can't handle the limited people interaction, space, and things to do.  I asked him if he was going to go on Jack Nicholson from The Shining on us and he didn't really give me a straight answer one way or the other.  I think he might need a project to start this weekend... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...