Monday, July 20, 2020

Good Things of Summer, Part 1


It's definitely been the summer of the unknown.  Life feels so up in the air due to all things COVID-19.  I just heard another local school is choosing to proceed with the hybrid model for fall, meaning students will report to school two days each week and focus on online learning the other three.  My semester is completely up in the air and I'm starting to wonder if I will see my students face-to-face at all.  I can't imagine starting Cruz and Mila's school year juggling work and a greater emphasis on learning.  Summer trips have been up in the air, summer activities were cut short or didn't happen at all, and summer as a whole just feels funky this year.  

And in these days, when it's easy to get wrapped up in all the unknowns of this pandemic, I've found it's important to keep my eyes on what's known.  Some things I know to be true?  A good morning sweat on my spin bike will always make me feel strong and capable.  Washing the day off my face before bed will always make me feel refreshed.  An afternoon at the pool, with ice cream and chapter books on the porch to follow will always feel like summer.  And spending a few minutes each day to jot down the things I'm grateful for will always, always bring a smile to my face.

Lots of good things to remember about this strange summer of 2020.  

916. The final Magnolia Table recipes to complete my two-year process of cooking through the entire cookbook.  A mastered hollandaise sauce atop this delicious eggs benedict casserole, and a day to make pies - a pecan pie and an almond peach tart.      










917. We've taken up a new hobby this summer at the golf course.  It's been a great little "escape" right here at home.  And Mila has golf life figured out. ;)  




918. Father's Day fun with my two favorite dads.  We golfed, we lunched, we pooled, we crashed. 




919. We are loving our pool setup this summer.  The kids had an awesome experience with swim lessons, we've been taking advantage of heading there mid-morning and ordering lunch poolside, and our obnoxiously large floaties have a permanent place in the back of our car, always ready for an impromptu post-baseball night swim.    

















920. A Father's Day jam session with a daddy and his daughter.


921. Junie B. Jones makes a comeback at the Jorgensen house.  With plenty of laughs to follow.




922. Another yearly trip to the strawberry patch.  This year we picked ten pounds of juicy berries, played with some baby goats, and went home and made 24 jars of strawberry jam.  Now we can enjoy a little summer all through the year.    



















923. A whole lot of pictures of our little Royal.  Mila had a short and sweet baseball season this summer with her adorable little team.  She was one of two girls on the team and held her own at practice with her pink bat and Bitty Baby.  She insisted on bringing her to games and practices, but was content with her sitting in the stands with me so she could watch her play.  It was her first year of coach pitch and she seemed to pick up on the general aspects of the game.  Although at the end of the season I asked if she had fun and she replied, "sort of."  My vote is she keeps playing as long as she looks that cute in a backwards cap.  














924. And just enough strawberries left for a homemade strawberry shake.  With whipped cream and sprinkles on top!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...