Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Details --- Party DIY 1


This is the first in a series of how-tos from Cruz's Sesame Street Second Birthday Bash.  A lot of planning when into this little shindig and I wanted to make sure I took some time to share some of my most favorite details from his party.

I incorporated some fun and simple games for the littles to play at the party, to which they earned 'Cruz Bucks' to spend later at Mr. Hooper's Store.  Mr. Hooper's Store, aka, a cheap three-shelf Wal-Mart bookcase I salvaged from my old classroom and spray-painted red, was filled with lots of fun party favors, including these Oreo pops I dipped and packaged the day before.  They are not only easy and fun to make, but hold out for a long time and taste absolutely delicious!  They were one of the most popular buys at the party and are the perfect little treat for parties or handy way to cure a killer chocolate fix.
  
Here's what you need...

1.  lollipop sticks (I got a pack of 24 at Hobby Lobby)
2.  Oreos (I bought two packages)
3.  one package of white almond bark
4.  sprinkles, toffee, coconut, chocolate chips, peppermint for decorating
5.  cellophane treat bags (also in baking aisle at Hobby Lobby)
6.  candy melt containers (these are found in the baking aisle at Hobby Lobby and I will never dip a piece of food in chocolate without them.  You can buy them in a pack of three, and they are microwave-safe, the perfect height for dipping, and you can throw 'em away when you're done.  Do you need them?  No, but they've sure made my dipping days easier!
  
Here's what you do...
  
1.  First, divide your Oreos.  When you divide them, you will typically have one side with the frosting and one without.  After some trial-and-error, I ended up using my non-frosting halves for crumbs for Slimy's Dirt Cups, and only used the sides with frosting (hence the need for two packages).  Next time, I may just purchase the Double Stuffed kind, since I think the key to getting your lollipop stick to stick is the amount of frosting it has to adhere to.

2.  Melt 1-2 square of almond bark in the microwave.  Dip the end of your lollipop stick in the almond bark and stick on one side of the Oreo.  Taking another Oreo, make a sandwich between the lollipop stick and press down until you can see almond bark ooze to the end of the cookie.  The key here is to get enough almond bark so the two Oreo sides cement together.  Set lollipop aside and continue until finished.  

3.  Once the cookies have hardened, check to make sure they are difficult to pull apart.  This means they are ready for dipping.  Melt your almond bark (according to package directions) in the microwave.  Take each stick and dip in melted almond bark.  Spin to let access bark run off.  Dip in desired sprinkles/toppings and let cool on sheets of wax paper.

4.  Once cooled, wrap each in cellophane treat bag and secure with ribbon.  

Super fun and super easy.  And if you thought Oreos were good, just wait.  I promise :)            

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...