Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Good Things // A Year Later



I was starting to think winter was going to outstay its welcome this year, but it seems spring sort shot up out of nowhere and I'm sure no one is complaining about that!  The days are longer, the sun feels warm, and we're once again reminded of the powers in a little fresh air, especially for those littles.  I picked up the kids last night and couldn't wait to go on a little walk with them.  We discovered our post office box at the end of the street did indeed have our mail in it, we met some great new neighbors, and Cruz spent no time getting acquainted with their son, throwing rocks in nearby puddles and showing us their mud-covered hands, pride beaming on their faces.  Our construction zone neighborhood may be quite the playground for the little kids that seem to be bursting at the seams here, but last night we realized the extent of the mud that exists out here right now.  This was especially evidenced when I was trying to get Mila in the house and Cruz was refusing to come in, perfectly content throwing rock after rock into the pond that had formed in our front yard.  Just when I decided to give up and watch him from the window while I got supper on the table, I heard him scream, "MOMMY, I'M SINKING IN QUICKSAND!!!"  To my horror, Cruz was literally calf-deep in mud.  As I tried to pull him out, my foot slid in the same pit and he fell over, butt sunk in the thick, oozing mess.  I was laughing (out of desperation mostly), Cruz was crying, and Mila was screaming, trying to work her way out of my arms so she could get in on the fun.  Two baths and an overnight soak for the shoes later and I have a feeling Cruz understands what we mean when we now request to not step in the mud.  

Who am I kidding, right?!

We know this spring is going to be a little interesting out here with no lawn or driveway at this point, and are prepared to visit lots of parks and playgrounds until we have a lawn and green grass to call our own.  Such is the stage of life we currently reside in.  We're in, and so happy to be this far, yet, we are so anxious to feel settled and get back to doing the things we loved to do as a family.  We still have so many boxes to unpack, furniture to order, and rooms to organize, and we can't get there fast enough.  Yet, we've realized the difficulty in doing anything fast with two under four who require a lot of time and attention.  It takes patience, but boy, sometimes I feel as if I've been saying that since October.  Nearly a half a year of feeling in between and unsettled is quite the test for someone who thrives on routine.  We're close and we'll get there, one day at a time.

So in attempts to get back to some sort of normal in my life, I want to get reacquainted with many of the things I used to love about this blog.  This space has always been simple to me.  A place to document my babies, to share pictures and ordinary moments I want to always remember.  It's for them, and it's for me, as it's become this creative outlet to share and reflect.  But lately, I've lacked some inspiration, maybe because I've been too busy channeling it in other places, or lost sight of the simple because our life has been anything but the past six months.  I've been more mindful of this recently, and have been amazed at what I've been able to stop and notice.  Maybe it's a good sign I'm starting to get back to normal.  Or maybe the more the look, the more I see.  Maybe it's as simple as that.  

It's been one year since I wrote a Good Things post, a little blog series of documenting the simple moments that catch me off guard throughout my days and help me appreciate my present.  The days are long, but the years are short, and someday, I hope these posts help me recall those tiny little snapshots with a smile on my face.  My camera and I are starting to get acquainted again, and I'm itching to create, explore, and feel settled in the days to come.  And, of course, I'd love for you to pull up a seat and come along.

  




















Good Things // Our first week in our new home...

132.  When I heard Cruz ask Beau if he could hold Mila one morning after she had woke up.  He was laying on the couch watching cartoons.  They were quiet in there, so I finished my makeup and came out to the living room nearly ten minutes later.  I snuck up on them because I knew my presence would ruin it, and saw Mila all curled up next to Cruz, his arms wound around her, holding her hand and gently rubbing it while they laid together and watched Spiderman.  He's always been the best big brother to her, and she's always adored him as much as we have.

  
133.  Mila's curls, especially when we're in the bathtub and they get a little damp.  


134.  Arranging old books on new shelves 

135.  The way Beau and Mila walk hand-in-hand to the bathtub after supper.  

136.  Cheerios before school.  Mila's may end up all over the floor, but they look so cute doing the same thing together. 




137.  The way Cruz always turns our fireplace on, every single night 

138.  The first of many productions on a new stage


139.  Bananas and milk before bed, and Cruz and Mom talks at the island after Mila's went to bed.  I washed dishes, Cruz told me about a mystery egg assignment from preschool, and I dreamed about the very same things years from now.   I pray he always wants to tell me about his days.



140.  Waking up to Cruz standing by the side of my bed, Olaf or Raphael or Brother Bear in his hand, asking if he can "sweep wif you." 

141.  Jam sessions to "If You're Happy and You Know It."  Especially when Mila stomps her feet.



141.  The relief I feel at the end of the day, when the kids are bathed, fed, and tucked in bed, and I can sink into a chair for a minute or two.  They're long, hard days, but they're the best days.            

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...