Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Christmas Favorite Things

Happy Wednesday!  I'm taking a break from recapping our Thanksgiving break to share a few of my favorite Christmas things to recount and maybe inspire a few of you before you make that list and check it twice.  I was invited to my first ever "Favorite Things" party this weekend, a fun take on Oprah's famous favorite things episode where she surprised all the members of her audience with some of her favorite products that year.  Rather than leaving with thousands of dollars of merchandise, however, for this party we were asked to purchase two of our favorite things to gift to someone.  Then, we will leave with two gifts of someone else's favorites.  Joanna Gaines just featured an article in her recent edition of Magnolia Journal with a guide to hosting a similar party.  It's a fun way to share products and ideas with other girlfriends and of course, spend time together during the holidays.



So in honor of this "favorite things" approach, here are a few of my favorite ideas for getting festive and celebrating what truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

Purchasing // Speaking of Chip and Jo, I know I'm late to the game with this post, but I purchased my fair share of loot from their Target line, Hearth and Hand, earlier this month and am still swooning over it all.  I was one of the crazy people who woke up in the middle of the night to shop online the day it released (not one of the crazy ones who waited in line at Target, though!) but have since been pleasantly surprised with how much inventory there is.  Now if only I could say the same about those dang Fingerlings. ;)

Favorite purchases have included my nesting houses and galvanized candle that found their way in our new basement space, my hot cocoa pot (more on that below), the kids' hot cocoa set (Mila will open this Christmas morning), and all the fixings for my Christmas table this year.  I still wander through their little area of Target every time I'm there, and love how I always walk away inspired about all things home.     




Adventing // Last year was the first year I purchased an advent study to not only dig into on my own, but involve the kids as well.  This is an area where I could easily get overwhelmed with all the great content there is out there.  Wanting our focus to be simple but meaningful, I was drawn to this study from All Things Good Collective.  I purchased the bundle, and love the simple and beautiful table cards that go with each day's reading.  Each day has a focus word, scripture to accompany, and room to reflect in writing, and the cards include a simple act to participate in as a family, or a prompt to discuss together.  The cards are smaller than the cards I purchased last year from She Reads Truth, and will look great as a fun garland strung on our built-ins.  




Reading // The last few years, I have filled up an advent calendar for the kids with small little treasures and activities for them to discover and do each day in December.  This year, I'm trying a new approach because 1) It's always hard to find little treasures that fit in the pockets of our calendar and 2) the kids don't need anymore little treasures!  Instead, I'm trying an advent book idea I've seen swirling around the web for years.  I wrapped up 24 of our favorite Christmas books and included a tag on each with the day each book is to be opened along with a fun activity to do together.  Reading Christmas books together is one of my favorite Christmas activities, and this will be a fun way to add some intention and joy through the month.    



I tried to correspond as many books as I could with activities that go along with the reading, and for a few, I added a little treat for a surprise.  Here are a few of my favorite ideas:

1. For the book, Home Alone, the tag says, "Order a delicious cheese pizza and have a picnic by the fire."
2. For the book, The Mitten, I included a new pair of gloves and stocking hat for each of their baskets.
3. For the book, The Joy of Giving, the tag says, "Locate ten toys each to donate to a worthy cause."
4. For the book, The Grinch, the tag says, "Make green milkshakes and watch The Grinch."
5. For the book, Christmas in the Big Woods, the tag says, "Family sleepover night!"

Each year, the kids get to open a present of a new book and a new pair of pajamas to read on Christmas Eve.  We've collected quite a few Christmas books over the years and it was fun to plan something special around our growing collection.  This year, my newest favorites are Let It Glow: A Winter's Walk, and Pick a Pine Tree.  We are kicking off our advent reading tomorrow night with Let It Glow and a walk down our own lit-up Main Street, and Mila is getting Pick a Pine Tree in her Christmas Eve box.    






Lighting // An advent calendar, also courtesy of Chip and Jo. ;)







Sipping // from our hot cocoa bar!  If I were to put my money on one thing our kids will most likely remember as their most loved Christmas traditions, it would have to involve cocoa.  And there was no question that our front entryway table would once again transform into a sweet spot to grab a hot cup of joy with all the fixings any time you want.  This endeavor was made even easier with my last find from Hearth and Hand, this enamel hot cocoa pot that can sit right on the oven burner and then on the acacia wood rest when warmed.  I find some cute brown paper travel cups for guests, and have sweet little toppings at the ready.  The kids ask for cocoa daily, and it's such a fun treat to pair with a season of cozy and sweet.    



Listening to // For King and Country Christmas on Pandora.  It's at the top of my list this year!

Smelling // My rosemary Christmas tree bush from Trader Joes.  It looks so cute on my kitchen island and so far, it's staying alive!

Craving // The marshmallow fluff chai at Cup of Joe OR the salted caramel chai at The Tea Cellar.  Pretty much any warm drink on Main Street in the month of December is my idea of a perfect pair.  

Watching // The kids and I spent a Tuesday night in the theater last night.  We went to Coco and it was wonderful, but we loved the Christmas short, Olaf's Frozen Adventure just as much.  It's got the sweetest message and it made me (and Cruz) cry. :)

There you have it!  Lots more Christmas to come, but first I must go back to Thanksgiving...  



3 comments:

  1. I just love following your BLOG. I also have a son and daughter around your kids ages (mine are 5 and 3) and I love how family centered all of your activities are. This time of year is such a busy one that I love how fun yet simple you keep everything. Would you mind sharing a few more of the advent activities you will be doing? I loved the green milkshakes and popcorn ones. We also do an Advent Calendar countdown but I'm looking for more fun things to include.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmen! Thanks for your message. Some other ideas we've included this year include: picnic around the Christmas tree, call someone you love just to say hi, eat candy canes in the bathtub, do a Christmas craft together, drive around and look at Christmas lights, Christmas dance party, and our favorite, a cookoff night where everyone gets to pick one dish to make for a meal. We pick simple recipes, let the kids take an active role in helping, and then "vote" on our favorite dish. Whoever wins gets to open up a pre-wrapped gift under the tree, usually a board game to play together before bed. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so very much for sharing! I LOVE the cookoff idea. You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...