Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Good Things || November


(Written on Monday) I am on my first day of Thanksgiving break, a week off to get my mind, heart, and home ready for the holidays.  This break is one of my favorites, for it involves lots of traditions we look forward to each year without the busy that often surrounds Christmas.  I have plans to drink coffee and listen to Christmas music, decorate the house for the season, and go on a few adventures with the kids.  And stay in my pajamas for a good part of it. :)

My mind started racing last night at bedtime as it often does when I have time to think.  Mental lists of Christmas shopping, meals to prepare, decorations to find in storage, and blog posts to write started to creep in and steal my joy.  I started to feel restless and anxious and unsure of how to best fill these days ahead.  So this morning, when I woke up and felt much of the same, I made a cup of coffee, put everything else away, and sat with my Bible opened to 1 Timothy.  I turned on some worship music in the background and spoke a prayer out loud that God would put something from my reading on my heart today.  Something that would reset my compass, relight my flame, and help me go into this week in a way that brings me and others joy.  And sure enough, the spirit led me right to 1 Timothy 6:6:

Godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and can take nothing out of it.

I want to live content this week.  I want to fix my eyes on all I have to be grateful for, all the blessings from a good Father who richly provided us this year.  I don't want to be distracted by busy or by the cares of this world, but by the true sources of joy Paul instructs Timothy on - bringing up those children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord's people, helping those in trouble, and devoting herself to all kinds of good (5:10). And that, I believe, is the life of contentment He desires for us.  

Good things in November...

599. Pancake mornings.  New Christmas pajamas.  Fresh strawberries from the freezer made into a warm stovetop syrup.  The last of the fall candles burning on the island and no plans for a Saturday except organizing our new space.            



600. Weeknights when we're all at home.  A slower pace now that the basement is pretty well complete.  A second batch of strawberry syrup, this time over brownies and ice cream.  Folding socks in front of the fire while Beau and Cruz pay piano and Mila colors a picture - on her belly.     


601. Finding the two of them like this before school one morning.  He was reading and she was actually listening!  


602. Watching him at the bus stop, his sweet little profile as he waits patiently in the cold, unaffected by the antics around him.  And that I love you I always get right before he shuts the car door.

603. The first cup of hot cocoa before bed.  


604. Mila's love of headbands, always the ones that never match.  Her new dance studio and sweet teacher, Candace.  



605. An impromptu afternoon to explore one of our favorite places.  It was a rather warm day mixed in with a bunch of cold ones, and I decided to take off a little early to get some fresh air with the kids.  On the way to daycare, I called Beau and joked that he should join us, never actually thinking he would.  But then he said yes!  So the four of us bundled up and headed to Hartman just before dark.  We trudged through leaves, collected pocketfuls of acorns, and practiced our owl calls.  And it was quiet enough to hear them call us back.  Afterwards, we warmed up with hot cocoas at Cup of Joe and a a couple of beers at Singlespeed.  It was one of my favorite, impromptu nights this fall.  There is just nothing that clear a mind more than being in the woods.  















606. A husband who welcomes 16 college girls into our home and gets them fed when I had to work later than I expected.  Coming home to find Cruz and Mila sitting right in the middle of them, sharing their happies and crappies.  Knowing this house full of girls is going to leave an imprint on them for years to come.  



607. Our cozy basement space, the soft carpet under my feet, and that deep joy every time I walk around the corner.  And my craft closet that I can't wait to organize.  





608. A Sunday well spent.  Drinking coffee slowly while Mila digs through her quiet basket.  Home Alone and popcorn stringing.  Their faces aglow by Christmas tree lights.  



609. And a daddy all to ourselves, enjoying the basement instead of working on it!


610. Mila's sweet pink room that seems to carry a little magic in it.  It's pink and feminine and rather spa-like.  When it's picked up, that is. ;)















611. Finding her asleep like this at 6:30 Sunday night.  Rarely does this happen at our house!  We turned her around, shut off her Christmas tree lights, and she didn't wake up until morning.  



612. When Mila requests to have her nails painted.  Pink, blue, pink, blue.

613. A sleepover at Kate's house in Pella.  Gathering at her table over squash soup and lemon kale salad, and later over white wine and peach pie.  Lots of laughter, tears, and deep thoughts on what it means to live for Jesus and love others well.  Her friendship is such a gift to me and God's hand in bringing our two worlds together is pretty amazing.  

614. A day in Des Moines all to myself.  Christmas shopping for the kids, 50 percent off at Gap, and that new West Elm store in the East Village.  Driving home with a car full of goods and For King and Country blaring on Highway 20.  

615. A long lunch with Taylor.  Hearing about his sweet marriage with Kate and how he picked the book of Job (of all books) to read from the Bible.  Sharing hugs, Chick-fil-a, and the gospel at Jordan Creek Mall.

616. An impromptu Thursday date night with my love.  Our sitter wasn't ready to go home yet, so we took that as an invitation to grab dinner and some time together.  The impromptu, unplanned nights are always the most fun.  

617. Vanilla almond milk in my coffee, the hum of the dryer in a quiet house, Cruz's fleece pajama pants that are just a bit too big on him.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...