Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Christmas Eve 2017


After our tornado of a night at Tony's, I woke up in Mila's bed, groggy but thankful we made it through the night without any more throw up.  Mila slept all night and woke up her usual sweet and spunky self.  I watched her like a hawk for much of the morning, just waiting for the other shoe to fall, but she appeared just fine.  As disappointed as I was with the thought of having to miss church, I had already prepared our plan B in my head, a live streamed version in our pjs, with darkness, candles, and the whole nine yards.  But by lunchtime, the table was set, the baked hot chocolate was done, and it looked as though we were going to get our plan A after all...

Pictures and memories from our quiet Christmas Eve at home...

I had come to the conclusion early Christmas week that we would not be having a white Christmas.  With an unseasonably warm December for the first half, and then a frigidly cold forecast for the days leading up to Christmas, it just didn't seem that a snowy Christmas morning was in the cards for us.  But then we woke up to a Christmas Eve snow for what seems to be the third year in a row, and I don't even think it was in the forecast.  I don't think it's an accident.  It seems God sprinkles in all the good stuff on the day of his son's birthday.  

We took advantage of this first gift of Christmas Eve, throwing coats and hats over pajamas and heading out just for a bit.  The kids were as excited as you can expect for two kids getting their first taste of snow on Christmas Eve.  Mila literally tasted it, until her hands were frozen and her cheeks had turned the perfect shade of pink.  Then it was inside for lunch and a quiet afternoon of naps and movies as we waited for church, my parents, and a feast to follow. 












We got ready for church early and had plenty of time for some family pictures, all dolled up for Christmas.  There are a bunch, but they are some of my favorites I've taken in a long time.  Mila let me curl her hair, she loved her Christmas dress, and modeled it through a variety of poses, and Cruz looked so grown up and handsome it made my heart burst.  They're getting older, these two, and they break my heart in all the very best of ways.  And goodness, I hope they always love to drive each other crazy.      



















And speaking of driving each other crazy, let's not forget about this stache.  Beau requested a few Clint Eastwood pictures of him looking all manly and such with his mustache.  I hate to tell him that he really just looks like he's a forgotten 80s superstar.  




Mom and Dad joined us for a cozy candlelight service at church, also one of our favorites in a long time.  The amazingly talented musicians, the choir, the message, the kids' sweet faces aglow as they held their candles tight and stared into the flame - there is just nothing that brings you closer to the wonder of it all then candlelight service with the people you love most.  

The rest of the night played out in a similar way I have come to love and anticipate year after year.  We hop into our cold cars after church and make our way to our house, all lit up for Christmas.  Mom and Dad join us around our table for lasagna, salad, and baked hot cocoa with ice cream, served in Christmas china used just once a year.  Then we sit by the fire and the glow of the Christmas trees and build the suspense for the coziest and most magical night of the year.  Beau gives frequent reports from the Santa tracker.  The kids open Christmas Eve boxes of new pajamas and a book to add to our collection.  Beau and Dad play cribbage, Mom and I drink wine, watch the kids, and laugh about the things they say.  We talk about how much we love this night, then Mom and Dad say their goodbyes and Merry Christmases, and leave us to the rest of our Christmas Eve night.  This night and its traditions have become so special to us.   










Then, after a quick trip outside to sprinkle reindeer food on the drive, a plate of cookies and glass of milk set out for Santa, and the last of our Christmas books read from the couch, we tuck our sugar plums in, and settle in ourselves for easily my favorite night of the year.

I drag this night out as long as I can.  I put on George Bailey and pour myself a drink, light all the candles, and take my sweet time filling stockings and arranging the gifts I have so thoughtfully planned for, purchased, and wrapped.  And then I sit back and let it all soak in.  The gift of a warm, cozy home to spend Christmas.  The chance to see Christmas through the eyes of my own little lights.  And most of all, the mystery, miracle, and magnificence of God breaking through the heavens to be with us, His people.  It's an unbelievable thing we get to celebrate.     











Santa came! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...