Saturday, January 13, 2018

Mila Carys Turns FOUR


And just like that, you are FOUR...





Thursday, we were blessed with a little surprise snow day.  I decided to work from home, giving you and Cruz the chance to celebrate the surprise, too, and stay in pajamas all day like kids do on a snow day.  But not you.  As always, you asked if you could get dressed five seconds after waking up.  Since we had no plans to leave the house as the snow fell and the wind blew, I made your day and let you pick.  You chose a sleeveless twirly dress and told me you could dress yourself, thank you very much.  I started breakfast and within minutes, here you came, shrieking into the kitchen feeling like any girl should first thing in the morning.  You were on top of the world, twirling and giggling in your blue dress, a pink beaded necklace around your neck and a headband stuck in your uncombed hair.  You looked cold, but mostly happy, and I silently hoped you would always be able to channel that deep, unwavering joy.



First caught up in the tension of having to get some work done while also having you home all day, it ended up being so much fun.  The house was messy, but I loved watching you bounce from one thing to another in your own little world.  You asked for a side braid like Elsa and then a soft blankie around your neck for a cape.  As I secured it just so with a safety pin, I remember doing the very same thing when I was little.  Later, we talked about dancing and you told me you love it when Daddy lifts you up high and you put your arms in the air like an airplane.  I remembered I was going to show you the final dance from Dirty Dancing, the one with the signature lift that inspired Daddy's similar move.  So before lunch, I took you and Cruz on a little walk down memory lane.  I showed you the final dance from Dirty Dancing, the one from Flash Dance, and "We Go Together" from Grease.  You loved them all, but you were mesmerized with Dirty Dancing.  You said, "Mom, she has a twirly dress just like me!"  and you stood up on your tippy toes and said, "And her shoes go up like this!"  Now all you need is a fisher price tape recorder and my old cassette tape of the soundtrack and you'll be teaching those neighbor boys a thing or two this summer. :)









Mila Carys, today you turn FOUR years old.  I will never forget the day you were born and how overwhelmed with love I felt.  You were so small and precious and our whole world just softened.  Your daddy has been swooning over you since he first rocked you in that hospital room and listened to the Avett Brothers with you, and four years later, the two of you are still at it, snuggling with your favorite blanket and listening to "your tunes."  And as for me, well, you are everything and more of the little girl I used to dream about.  You are smart and funny and full of spirit.  You love all things girl, though there isn't a dainty bone in you.  You twirl through this life with all the zest I think we're called to, and sprinkle joy wherever you go.  And while life has surely softened with you in it, at the same time it's only gotten bigger and brighter.  You have filled our lives with more love than we could ever put into words, and it is such a blessing to celebrate all you are today.  












Love you to pieces, sweet girl.  Happy FOUR.

And a little twenty questions for the taking.  It's a long one, but there are some pretty great twirls right in the middle of it.     



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...