Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spiritual "Grub"

Lately, I've been hooked on the ABC show, 'Brothers & Sisters.' It's a Sunday night ritual. Every week, I work hard all afternoon so that at night, I can unwind for a few hours in front of the TV. First, an hour of 'Desperate Housewives,' followed by 'Brothers & Sisters.' I can usually count on two hours of simple entertainment. Not a lot of thought, but that's the beauty in it.

Tonight's episode was different. It not only made me think; it stopped me in my tracks. The character, Kitty, played by Calista Flockhart (aka, Ally McBeal), has been living with Stage 3 Lymphoma. Although it is a fictional show, the realities of cancer are anything but fake. The painful looks of fear, the family's attempt to find normalcy amidst a growing monster, and a desperate plight to fight the uncontrollable are not only realistic, but emotionally heart-breaking.

At the end of the show, Kitty's husband (played by Rob Lowe), decides to step down from his campaign for governor in order to spend more time with his wife and baby. He said something that really stuck with me:
"So many of us go through our days so focused on the goal in front of us, that we forget what's important is right next to us."

I often fall guilty of this quote. I usually consider my drive, work ethic, and ability to self-start a few of my best qualities; however, they sometimes get me in trouble. I get so focused on what I need to do, that I forget what's important. Hobbies that I enjoy. A good book. My family. My relationship with Christ.

There's no doubt about it...in America, people like to be busy. We fill our plates and run through life distracted and blinded by what we think needs to be done. The problem is, we are filling our plates with the wrong 'food.' Food that seems important at the time, yet, will never leave us truly 'nourished.'

"The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it" (John 1:5).

God shows His face in the most unexpected times. Times when the conditions aren't always right. It's not surprising. Born in a stable. Conditions were far from "right." Died next to two criminals on a cross. Conditions were not right. I believe God often chooses the 'unexpected' times to teach us lessons of His grace and peace.

Today at Orchard, Alice Shirey taught about making the Bible and its scripture a routine part of our lives. Keeping with the food metaphor, she said something that really stuck with me.
"If you only choose to have one spiritual meal a week (referring to church), you have an eating disorder."
He is God and He is always there, I just have to look.

Tonight, I'm looking extra hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...