Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I Like Pie


I'm going through a pie kick right now and it's proving to a bit of a problem as I'm the only one in this house who seems to like to eat it.  So if you're in the neighborhood and appreciate a good pie, chances are, I'll have a slice waiting for you.  And a cup of tea, if you're lucky.  

I'm sharing a unique, but delicious strawberry rhubarb recipe I tried a couple of weeks ago.  The recipe was passed on from my sister-in-law and I've learned to take her food advice seriously over the years.  I likely would have never tried this recipe if it wasn't for her recommendation, but I'm sure glad I did.  It was my first try at a custard pie and it was to die for.  
 



1 9-inch unbaked pie crust (I used the recipe for my drunk crust, found here), but cut it in half for only one crust
3 cups rhubarb, diced
1 cup fresh strawberries, quartered and sliced
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tbsp. milk
3 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tbsp. butter, diced 
2 tbsp. strawberry jam
1/4 tsp. water

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Place rolled out pie crust on 9-inch pie plate.  Form edges and cut excess dough.  Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

2. Combine rhubarb and strawberries together in a bowl.  Transfer to crust and spread evenly.

3. Whisk together eggs, sugar, milk, flour, and nutmeg in bowl.  Pour over rhubarb and strawberries until custard reaches the edge of the crust.  Spread pieces of diced butter evenly over top of custard.  Gently tap crust and shake baking sheet to remove air bubbles.

4.  Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, turning halfway.  Bake until custard is set.

5.  While cooling, mix strawberry jam and water and heat in microwave for 15 seconds.  Glaze the top of the pie with jam mixture and let cool.  

**6.  Shortly after cooling, refrigerate pie until ready to serve.  Since this is a custard pie, it is best stored in the refrigerator and served cold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...