Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sweet Iowa Summer


I'm convinced summertime is the best time, no matter where you are.  I've seen evidence of this almost everywhere I look, from happy instagram photos of bike rides through Times Square, great American road trips through Tennessee and Georgia, and mountainous picnic adventures in Montana.  Facebook statuses include images of boat rides, pool adventures, and small town festivals, and it seems everyone is doing their absolute best to soak up the late arrival of summertime.  


And while I love me a good adventure, one of my favorite parts of summer is the opportunity to experience it in my own backyard.  There's something about this season that brings me right back to my childhood, only now getting to experience some of my favorite memories through the eyes of my own child.  It becomes about the little things, and simple images like running through the tall, thick grass playing ball, feeling the rush of that first dip in the pool on a hot afternoon, and ending every night with ice cream come flooding back to life.

What are your favorite images of summertime?  I remember sitting in the back of Dad's truck, eating Casey's snow cones to the sounds of the Minnesota Twins' announcers on the radio.  I remember being at the ballpark until the lights came on, watching the gnats come to life as we ran the bases, finished bags of popcorn, and stole kisses on the tire swing.  I remember closing the pool at nine, then swimming with my friends in the moonlight.  I remember cruisin' down Main Street with the windows down, singing to mix tapes of Rascal Flatts, Nelly Furtado, and Eminem, eating Chuckwagons and drinking Grape Crush.  I remember paper routes, trips to the Drug Store, and weeks living at the fair.  I remember never wanting summer to end, and when it did, counting down the days to do it all over again.

I often wonder what memories Cruz will someday recall about this favorite summer season.  And although he's maybe too little to remember anything right now, I hope these feelings of simplicity and togetherness continue to make him happy and content.  Because right now, that's all that's really important to him.  Simplicity and togetherness, happiness and contentment.   

We're enjoying so much about our small town summer, and I'm inspired to take the simplicity and togetherness that abounds now and find ways to cultivate it into the rest of the year.  

More images of summertime as of late.  Lots of summertime bucket list happening over here...

A fresh strawberry rhubarb pie during nap time... 


Water play and popsicles after nap time...


Fresh peonies in the backyard.  I feel very Martha Stewart-y when I can make a bouquet from just stepping out the back steps.







Slow mornings at home.  Breakfast, cartoons, and lots and lots of books...





Saturday morning art festivals and the discovery of a wonderful local band.  Check out The Comfort Kings, people.  They're awesome.





Piggy back rides and soccer games in the backyard...  
















Barbecues with our favorite soon-to-be bride and groom.  We love you, Rob and Jill, and can't wait for your big day! (Oh, and Summer Shandy, too)...












The best thunderhead.  Hands down.






Summer means fresh scrapes and bruises.  And first band-aids, which magically make all the difference.


Pools with sprinklers.  






And strawberries.  And fresh shakes on the deck.  And cloud watching on patchwork quilts long past bedtime.  More on that to come...







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...