Friday, October 26, 2018

Always a Hufflepuff || Cruz's 8th Birthday Celebration


I told myself I was done with themed birthday parties for Cruz two years ago, but then fall rolls around and I fall deeply into all things holiday mode and my mind gets all excited about home and cozy and getting all the people under our roof.  It's what I love to do.  And I used to think I'd quit these cutesy themed parties because the kids would eventually grow out of it, when I'm finding the truth is, it almost gets more fun.  They get minds of their own, the ideas grow more creative, and they're just cool.  Especially when they love reading beloved books about wizards and spells and flying cars and a faraway place known as Hogwarts Academy...  











I have waited years (like since the day he was born) to cozy up under Cruz's covers and get lost in the world of Harry Potter together.  We are making our way through the beautifully illustrated hardcover collection and Cruz is all in.  He asks nearly every night if we get to read some Harry Potter, and it's an easy sell because I love it as much as him.  It was a delight to bring the books to life for him as a celebration of him turning 8.  But just as much as it was to celebrate Cruz, this party was just as much fun for the adults.  My little brother Taylor was the spitting image of a young Harry when he was little, with his thick round-rimmed glasses and dark bushy hair, and I remember him waiting anxiously as J.K. Rowling wrote and released each book.  So as much as this party was created with the little first-years in mind, I was thinking of the prefects, too. :)

So how did I bring this book to life?  I transformed the dining room into the Great Hall, with floating candles hung from fishing line and tall taper candles creating an inviting and ominous feel.  I made a Honeydukes candy shoppe and had so much fun making and finding all the fun candy served, from chocolate frogs and fizzing whizbies (pop rocks stuffed in candy molds), to the famous Bertie Botts and her earwax, earthworm, and booger flavored jelly beans.








The "first-years" all received their very own Hogwarts admissions bag, complete with their very own pair of Harry specs, a wand, and an owl to name and take home as their souvenir.  I found an adorable sorting hat quiz online and the kids were so cute going through questions and discussing which response most fit their personality.  Then I tallied the results, tossed a witch's "sorting hat" on their head, and announced which house they belonged in.  Then they each received a coloring page with their house emblem and spent some time coloring while I prepared the great feast.



For food I served a fun taco bar with beef, chicken, queso, and all the fixings, followed by candy, cake, and my favorite of the night, butter beer.  This stuff was amazing!  I basically blended a container of vanilla ice cream and butterscotch topping, and put a big spoonful in a glass of cream soda.  And for the adults, I served spiked butter beer with butterscotch schnapps.  Definitely one of my favorite parts of the party!










I had a spells lesson for the kids using their wands, had some disgusting fun with Bertie Botts (note to self, don't EVER try a vomit flavored jelly bean again), and settled in for a movie night in the basement with our tired little wizards.  And then it's always fun to see what happens in the after-party.  This year's after party involved a dance party featuring Taylor, an extensive science lesson in which Beau held contests to see what three helium filled balloons could hold, and a nerf war.  There's always a nerf war...

Thank you, Target, for featuring a Harry Potter line of clothing two weeks before our party!  

















Our adorable wizards with their wands and owls.  We had five Hufflepuffs, one Gryffindor, and one Slytherin.  He(She) Who Must Not Be Named... ;)



I know I say this every year, but this was my favorite party yet.  The books, the candles, and those dark-rimmed glasses on those sweet wonder-filled faces will be etched in my memory perhaps more than the wizard who brought it all to life.  Man, what a treat it is to celebrate these sweet years of them.  









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...