Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Bigger Than a Hippopotamus


Beau has written me two songs since we've been together, both at Christmas time.  And both songs go along with two of the sweetest memories of my life.  He sang the first on Christmas Eve night when I was a plump ten months pregnant with Mila.  We were in our first house, I was on the couch, and he sat down on the floor right beside me with no lights on except the Christmas tree.  Little Cruz was sleeping, we were just days away from welcoming our new baby girl, and everything felt tender.  Fast forward five years later and all three of them got in on this year's song.  For a couple weeks prior, every now and then one of them would say something to make the other snicker, then they'd go up to Beau and whisper something and smirk at me like they were being super sneaky.  I was on to the fact that they had some kind of Christmas surprise up their sleeve, but can't believe I missed all the practicing and playing coming from the basement.  Beau said they practiced when I was gone or in the morning before school and said never once did they tell him no to a practice session.  I think that's the sweetest part - they were all in on it together, helping Beau with the rhymes, learning the big words, and making sure they all did their very best.  Just for me.  

I won't forget my Christmas present this year.  Halfway through all the gift opening, they said they had a special present for me downstairs.  They set up a chair in front of the reading nook and all had the proudest smiles on their faces.  The first time through I cried and smiled through the entire thing.  Beau's creative lyrics, the big words Mila learned like superfluous and sarcophagus, the pictures, like Moses and that funny baby, that went along with all the lines, the bridge and the way the kids giggled when they sang the word "booty," and their looks of deep love and pride as they shared their hearts and watched me close.  It was funny, it was sweet, it was creative, and it was us.  I know I get most of the credit for creating the experiences in this family of ours, but Beau - he's the best.  And he gifted me with a perfect three minute story of us this Christmas. 










     

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...