Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bon Appetit!

Today was our first official snow day of the year and it couldn't have been better. I managed to be halfway productive, cleaning out the pantry, cleaning the bathroom, working on lesson plans for second semester, and even working out. More importantly, I managed to be unproductive as well! One of my favorite parts of the day was my afternoon movie: Julie & Julia.

I was inspired! I love to cook and really connected with the main character, Julie Powell. Content, yet growingly unsatisfied with her 9-5 bureaucratic job, Julie finds her escape and control at night as she cooks. In the movie, Julie takes on a challenge: to try every single recipe in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and blog about it for an entire year. 524 recipes in 365 days. Sounds like a challenge to most. I think it sounds like a wonderful idea.

After many successes, meltdowns, messes, and a few extra pounds, Julie learns a lot about herself and her counterpart, Julia Child, in the process. I loved Amy Adams as Julie, the two men that played both Js' husbands, and the delicious looking food. When the film was over, I wanted to make raspberry Bavarian cream, mushroom cream sauce, bruschetta, and lobster! I was inspired!

I was so inspired, I even got out the cookbooks. I contemplated the Bon Appetit cookbook; that is, until I saw that there were not 524 recipes, but 1,200! I told Beau about my idea and he quickly envisioned similar meltdowns to that of Amy Adams' in the film. I put the idea aside and decided to work out instead.

...I wonder if I could get through the cookbook in two years... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...