Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Change in plans...

This week was going to be crazy.  Yesterday, after teaching all day and welcoming Senator Grassley to our school to speak with our high school students, I had five hours of senior presentations, a culminating project completed by my 12 senior advisees and graded by yours truly.  After that, around eight o'clock, I was planning on jetting it home to rock my baby to sleep, then pack for a two-day conference in Des Moines, aka, my first official overnight away from my boy.  Mom was planning to come stay with Cruz while I learned about eCurriculum in Des Moines, and I was planning on my first Skype play-date with the Cruz Tuesday night.  

But as I've learned a thousand times over, just when you feel like you get this crazy little life in order, and master a plan for tackling what was supposed to be an utterly stressful and crazy week, plans change.  

(In comes the start of poopy diapers)...

We got a call from daycare around ten yesterday morning.  Cruz had had four runny diapers since we dropped him off; therefore, he needed to be picked up.  Happy and seemingly healthy, our smiley boy was exiled from daycare for 24 hours (do I get a discount for this???).  Meanwhile, as I'm trying to arrange a place for my sophomores to go and figure out how the heck I'm going to make this all work, I get an offer to attend a conference in D.C. in July.  A conference that just happens to fall on the same week of my follow-up conference I was supposed to attend tomorrow.  Hmm...

I phone Beau because that's what I do when I'm stressed.  And because I'm absolutely terrible at making decisions on the fly and expect others to make them for me, I get mad at Beau for not helping my dilemma.  Sometimes I feel like I'm not ready for all these big kid decisions...


Well, needless to say, I used my sub plans.  Skype, however, will not be needed.  I traded in my eCurriculum Conference in Des Moines for a date with my little boy.  He had a mad total of nine runny diapers yesterday (as if you really needed to know that), and I still haven't determined if he's sick, teething, or recovering from the Easter weekend and a little too much apple juice.  It's times like these when I realize I'm still so new at this whole mom thing.



So today, we play.  We pack on the Butt Paste, soak in a sudsy tub, and play face-to-face instead of via Skype.  Plans changed and although I'm still not sure I made the right decisions yesterday, I've learned that there's no use dwelling on it.  Life happens and you just go with what works. 


One day at a time. 



1 comment:

  1. Ashley,
    Both of my little boys have had problems with runny diapers when they're teething and when they get introduced to juice. Put the two together... disaster. :) If he's not running a fever and he's not fussy -- I don't think you have to worry about sickness. Just enjoy this extra time with him! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...