Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Currently...


















Enjoying...Our summer afternoons.  Every summer, I get the chance to be a stay at home mom and experience the joy and exhaustion this involves.  I'm always a little fearful we'll have a hard time transitioning to a schedule, but by mid-June I can feel us settle into a rhythm that is slow and sweet.  I especially love our afternoons.  Mila goes down for a nap and I fold a load of towels, set out a pitcher of sun tea, or fiddle around in the garden, pulling weeds and dreaming up dinner plans.  Cruz loves to play with the neighbor boys and it's fun to hear their laughs through the screen door as I move in and out.  I think back to spending my summer days outside and smile knowing Cruz is making those same kinds of memories, too. 

Working on...Cleaning our closets.  It's been so refreshing to go back through these spaces a year later knowing what we need and how to organize it all.  And I've become a Sell and Swap junkie.  It's the best way to sort through spaces and get a little reward for doing so!

Listening to...The Avett Brothers' new album and this performance on Today.  Watch this and try to hold still, I dare you. :)

Watching...Jon Snow, excuse me, Game of Thrones.  This show just ended for the season and we have confirmed that it is absolutely, our favorite series, EVER.  The writing, the characters, the surprises, the deeper meanings and symbols and strong women characters are unbelievable and Beau and I end every episode mind blown.  If you watch, especially the last two episodes of this last season, you without a doubt know what I'm talking about.  If you don't watch, you should, for this reason alone...


Even Obama watches GoT.  Just don't watch this video if you're not caught up yet.  The last two episodes are like watching an entire season worth of material.  

(Please tell me there are other Game of Throne's addicts reading this...)  

Drinking...Cold press coffee with sweet vanilla cream from Starbucks.  My summer drink of choice, hands down.  I love how smooth it is, how pretty it looks when the cream swirls around in the cup, and love how refreshing it is to drink while I watch Cruz during swim lessons.  

Speaking of swim lessons!  We're loving the return of Jacob, our adored swim teacher, and all the progress Cruz Man's been making in the pool this summer.  He looks like a swimmer and I told Jacob I want him jumping off the board and swimming to the side by the end of summer.  We'll see...





Eating...out of our garden!  I have kale coming out of my ears, more herbs than I know what to do with, and sugar snap peas that make for the best snack while I weed.  Last week, we made stir fry with broccoli, peas, basil, and parsley, all picked from our backyard.  I'm loving constructing meal plans based on what's popping up out there.

   
Also Eating...The best picnic sandwich, ever.  Focaccia bread sliced lengthwise, some of the insides removed, and layered with homemade pesto, salami, pepperoni, and turkey, basil leaves, roasted tomatoes (I used this recipe), balsamic reduction, and fresh mozzarella.  Tie it up with some twine and take it to your favorite picnic spot.




Pictures from our little summertime picnic...




   












  
Reading...My current summer read, Cold Tangerines, by Shauna Niequist.  She's a favorite of mine.

We're also enjoying our weekly trips to the library.  Cruz has been reading a lot of Cynthia Rylant's, Henry and Mudge books, and Mila found the Dora section of the bookshelves, much to Beau and I's displeasure at home!  My favorite children's book to read to Mila is Waiting by Kevin Henkes.  I love pulling up to our house and seeing all the toys lined up on Mila's window bench because it reminds me of this book.

Looking forward to checking out some Where's Waldo, I Spy, and a few new DVDs for our big family road trip.  We love our public library and are fortunate to have so many resources for free at our fingertips.  

And speaking of road trips...

Anticipating...a big trip to the Northeast, our first road trip as a family of four.  I have been having a blast planning lots of road trip boredom busters for the kids and can't wait to share them on here.  We're going to be putting in over 40 hours on the road by the time this thing is all said and done, so wish us luck and say some prayers for patience and happy kids.  To be continued...  

Laughing over...this roll of pictures.  Uptown Funk was playing and my kids just can't hold still to this one.                          




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...