Monday, November 7, 2016
a final halloween post // good things
344. Carving pumpkins outside. This is the way to go, let me tell you. Mila lasted all of three minutes and Cruz was actually quite helpful this year. He wasn't afraid to get elbow deep in pumpkin guts and even asked if we could make pumpkin bread with it. :)
345. Cruz's very own jack-o-lantern designs. For two years now, Cruz has designed his own pumpkin and Beau has carved it for him. And for two years now, it's been our favorite pumpkin hands-down.
346. Lighting up that "W" pumpkin after the Cubbies took game 5 of the World Series.
347. Halloween pajamas. Christmas pajamas. Everything pajamas.
348. The way they hauled their little chairs in our room to watch Curious George's Halloween special while Beau and I watched the Cubs play. I love that they have each other to share these little adventures together.
349. Sneaking in to watch Mila parade with her daycare friends through the church on Halloween morning. I got there just a few minutes late, which worked out in my favor because she didn't notice me at first and I could watch her do her with her friends. I was leery of stopping at all, for fear she would see me and lose it, but she was such a big girl. She spotted me, got the biggest smile on her face, ran over for a hug, then went back to her line like the biggest girl. She kept looking at me with the sweetest smile on her face, and I left smiling and crying at the same time.
350. Halloween themed dinners for the kids. I wanted them to have something somewhat healthy in between our two trick-or-treating adventures and knew we wouldn't have time for a big meal. So I had fun spookying up some of their favorite finger foods. And then I had even more fun pretending to be a scary witch serving them supper. I turned off the lights, turned up my own spooky witch voice, and the kids were halfway intrigued and halfway confused with me. And they loved their treats!
351. These little milk bottles gifted from Grandma Kelly. Target dollar bins win yet again!
352. The Star Wars (and Little Red) entourage that formed at the end of Ironwood. They marched to and from each porch like professionals, and we stood on the sidewalk and swooned from afar. I love how the streets light up with porch lights and this year, everyone was out in their driveways because it was just beautiful outside. We walked farther than ever before, and took our time on the way home breathing in the fresh air and soaking in the night.
353. How small they looked the porches and how big they looked at the very same time.
That's a wrap. Halloween 2016 was a good one!