Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Ashley Cooks Magnolia


A long time ago, before kids and everything, I watched the movie Julie and Julia on a cozy snow day and was left inspired.  I even blogged about it!  I vowed then to someday cook through an entire cookbook and document my struggles and successes along the way.  I loved to cook, but found that it was easy to hit dry spells in the kitchen where I was no longer enjoying the process of preparing meals, but doing it as one more task instead of something I truly loved to do.  A new cookbook, an added challenge, and a little imagination are sometimes all it takes to turn the heat on and find joy in the smells, tastes, and sounds of the kitchen.

Fast forward nine years (I have been blogging a LONG TIME), two kids, a new house, and a much busier schedule, and I find myself needing to be re-inspired in the kitchen more often than not.  I love to cook, but it sadly feels like a chore more than a chance to feel alive most days.  But thankfully, I live in Iowa where the changing of the seasons often marks new opportunities to lean in to the change and discover the joy in the newness of it all over again.  I love that about living in a place with seasons.  Each one feels like a big gift to unwrap - that first weekend in the fall that calls for sweaters and warm socks, a fire, and a pot of soup, the first snowfall and anticipation of waking up to white, the smell of cut grass and charcoal grills in the summer, and of course, the beauty of a new spring and all the color that comes along with it.  We had what felt like an unusually late spring, and I'm appreciating the changing of this season maybe more than ever before.  And I think I finally met my Julie and Julia match... 

The moment I thumbed through my copy of Joanna Gaines' new cookbook, Magnolia Table, I knew it was something special.  I had never looked through a cookbook and wanted to mark every single recipe in it.  I also loved that each recipe was simple and classic, yet each with a unique twist to inspire and challenge me.  Finally, I loved that the recipes matched my love of the seasons - it was definitely a cookbook that would be well-loved throughout the year.  And that's when the idea hit me.  Why not cook through this cookbook in a year?  I counted the recipes and figured it would involve just 3 or so new recipes a week, many that can pair together as a meal.  I revisited the pretty pages and pictures and started dreaming up bringing chocolate chip cookies to soccer next weekend, sharing Joanna's cinnamon squares at the park with friends this summer, or making garden fresh salsa or another batch of strawberry jam with all that yummy summer produce here soon.  

I plan to post photos on Instagram of each recipe I make, as well as blog posts to help me keep track and share my reviews and tips along the way.  Most of all, I hope this serves as a means to keep me inspired in the kitchen, and maybe inspire you, too.  

(1) I started with Joanna's "After School Banana Bread" and it was wonderful.  Cruz loves banana bread more than pretty much any food on the planet and I loved that Joanna enjoyed making this for her sweet kids to eat after school, too.  I also loved that it was baked in an 8x8 pan, which seemed to go a lot further baking it as a loaf.







(2) Last weekend was Cinco de Mayo and we went to Brian and Angie's for margaritas, carnitas, and cards.  It was the perfect opportunity to make Jo's guacamole.  I had good avocados, some time to chop, and good music to get me in the mood for a fiesta.  I ended up adding a little more salt and jalapeno than the recipe called for, but it turned out great.  In fact, Angie said it was the best guac she'd ever had.  And I think I agree with her.




Oh and fun fact about serving guacamole?  Keep the avocado pits and put them in the bowl when you're finished making the guac.  The pits will keep the guacamole from turning brown too soon.

(3) The next morning, I whipped up Jo's chocolate chip cookies.  It was my turn to bring treats to Cruz's soccer game and the only regret I have is that I didn't pick up pretzels and keep the cookies for myself.  This was my favorite recipe of the week.  I thought I had perfected the cookie, but these were even better.  The perfect size, just a little crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, and the right amount of sweet.  And sadly enough, my taste-testers were big fans, too, for we came home from soccer without a single cookie left!










One week in and I'm 3 for 3!  At this point, I'm convinced Joanna can do no wrong.  Not only have we tried some yummy food this week, but I can hardly wait to meal plan around these pages each week.  It might just be the most fun challenge I've ever done.            

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...