Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Growing Season (And a Morning with my Girl)


Ahh, we've waited so long for spring.  After a long winter, we've been blessed with a spring season to rival it, full of refreshing weather, beautiful blooms, and lots of growing.  I think God was pretty nifty to gift us the seasons and the older I get, the more I appreciate them.  God reveals so much about who He is through the way He created this world of ours.  From the biggest oak tree that shoots up into the blue sky, to the tiny velvety petals on a lilac bloom, He cares about the big and the small, and built His creation to grow where we're planted and honor and glorify Him with our presence.  Just as we are.









This is our third spring in our house and every year, signs of deeper roots show their face this time of year.  My perennial bed I planted has come back even better than before, magically sprouting healthy greens out of nowhere, leaving me to marvel at the ways things die and come back again.  The garden has been planted and little green bean sprouts have sprung from the ground, inching their way closer to the sky everyday.  And our baby trees are standing firm against the big winds we have out here, this year showing off beautiful white blooms as if to say, here I am.  Have you heard the song, So Will I, by Hillsong?  The lyrics are about creation and I encourage you to grab a journal, go find a hill that overlooks something pretty, and listen to the words.  "For if everything exists to lift you high, so will I."  It all becomes just a little more meaningful, a little more beautiful, when you see it through the lens of God's creation.  From the trees in the ground to the little souls who help me plant them.  







Beau and I often laugh about our baby trees, taunting their small size and grumbling about the fact that we probably won't have shade until the kids are out of the house.  But lately, I've been seeing them with a whole new kind of pride.  Just like my favorite scripture verse in Matthew 13, though they are the smallest of seeds, they are growing here right along with us (32).  Planting roots, standing firm in the world, and blossoming at just the right times.  They were planted here right when we are, growing and showing us their own piece of God's workmanship.  Small, but mighty.








We've been tending to our own little plot of soil here lately, digging in the dirt, finding lots of worms, and watering the hopeful fruits of our labor.  I've got pictures of garden planting and flower buying with Cruz and Mila, from some of my favorite days of spring thus far.  Mila was an absolute joy to bring to my favorite greenhouse one Saturday morning.  She skipped through the narrow aisles, delightfully smelling all the flowers and announcing just how beautiful they all were like a high pitched broken record you just couldn't turn off.  People were smiling and lingering to hear her delight, and she became quite the mascot for everyone's flower buying experience.  She's also the reason I purchased more flowers than necessary and now have my own little greenhouse to water and tend to!  Love my little plant lady!










Can't believe it's already Memorial Day weekend.  May always flies by.  In no time, we'll be picking strawberries, eating sweet corn, and trying to keep the beetles from eating my green beans.  Slow down, summertime!












No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...