Sunday, May 20, 2018

Mother's Day 2018


Mother's Day this year was rainy and sweet.  The kids were into it, Mila calling it "Mudder's Day" and asking several days before when it would be time to celebrate the "mudders."  She colored several surprise pictures for me, asking Beau to help her hide them in her room, and later asked if we could pick some flowers from the trees in our neighborhood for Mudder's Day.  I heard her at various times throughout the day say something to Beau about getting ready to celebrate, which I think kept my husband in the spirit, too.  Thankful for a little girl to keep these boys on their toes when I can't do the job myself!  

Cruz's excitement arrived a little after 5 am on Sunday morning when he woke up Beau to see if they could get up to work on the surprise they had been whispering about Saturday.  He successfully delayed the wake-up call until 6 and then I "slept in" while they scurried around the kitchen and not-so-quietly prepared a surprise breakfast in bed.  I loved my vantage point and realized it's not very often I get to be a bystander in these kinds of family experiences.  I listened as Cruz and Mila worked together to prepare a piece of avocado toast, smiled as Cruz tried to persuade Mila to let him shape the raspberry heart, and snickered as Mila stormed off to her room when it didn't go as she planned.  And five minutes later, they all joyously entered the bedroom, happily presenting a breakfast made for a queen.  It's tough making plans with these boys, but she recovered well!

I was served a yummy breakfast of eggs, sausage, avocado toast, and raspberries, and was given many handmade cards and pictures created at school and around our table.  Then it was church, a few pictures by a dilapidated old building in Waterloo (only the best kind), and brunch at Singlespeed.  We ended up staying here until early afternoon, ordered another round of beers with our breakfast tacos, and played a family game of shuffleboard and beanbags while the rain fell and created quite a cozy scene for our Sunday afternoon.  







Then it was back home for naps and American Idol, a Sunday ritual we've all looked forward to the last few weeks.  And our hometown girl, Maddie Poppe, made it to the top 3, which meant Tuesday she would be returning to her Butler County roots for a parade and concert in my hometown.  It was an exciting finish to a good day, but the scene that played out just before bed was what I hope to tuck away as the best part of my Mother's Day.  Just moments before the top three were announced, both kids fells asleep, one on each of us.  This still happens occasionally with Cruz, but Mila is a night owl and would usually stay up halfway through the night if we'd allow it.  This Mother's Day, though, she fell asleep in my arms, and was out like a light.  I held her there for awhile, watched her sleep, and noticed that her little face hasn't changed all that much from the first time I laid eyes on her in the hospital.  These quiet moments of being a mom, when life stops and your heart skips a beat, they are the best ones.  She didn't even plan for it, but she ended my Mudder's Day in the sweetest of ways.










A few pictures from our little photo shoot.  One of two days a year I can expect cooperation for the camera. :)









































1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...