Sunday, October 13, 2019

Magnolia Table Update


The fall season always re-inspires me in the kitchen and I've had my Magnolia Cookbook out often lately, piddling away at each recipe when the right mood hits.  It's worn and a bit tattered by now, with flour on the black binding, tiny speckles of red sauce or small oil stains on the inside, but it's easily become one of my most treasured kitchen companions.  Setting out to try every recipe in the book has been such a worthwhile endeavor.  I've challenged myself to try things I normally would have passed over (hello fish tacos), have discovered new appreciation for unique flavors and combinations (thank you gorgonzola flatbread), and have shared my love of Magnolia with many sweet friends (small group apple pie and leftover soup to a teacher friend).  It's been a fun process and I have every intention of finishing what I started!  Hopefully in time for her next cookbook to come out. ;)

Here's what I've been making as of late...

|| Lemon Lavender Icebox Cookies | I made these the first week of school with my bountiful crop of fresh lavender.  I didn't know if the kids would like these, so I put most of them in the freezer to save for a rainy day.  But to my surprise, they loved them, especially in a big glass of cold milk.  



|| Parchment Paper Cod with Summer Vegetables | This one was definitely a step out of my comfort zone!  We aren't big fish eaters around here and this was a stretch.  It looked SO good as I was preparing it all, but in all honesty, no amount of white wine could disguise the pungent smell and flavors.  




|| Joanna's Perfect Pie Crust and Dulce de Leche Apple Pie | If I had to pick my top five favorite recipes I've made thus far, Joanna's pie crust would hands-down be on the list.  It's easy, no fail (so far), and tastes just like a homemade pie crust should - buttery golden goodness.  This dulce de leche pie was quite the process, but seriously delicious.  Joanna bakes her apples in a saucepan before putting them in the pie shell.  This technique eliminates the watery apples you often get at in your pie plate, especially a day or so after baking.  It worked and the pie tasted just as good three days later.  And by then I had completely forgotten how many dishes I dirtied in the process of baking it!


|| King Ranch Chicken Casserole | This casserole is apparently a Texas staple and combines chicken, lots of cheese, black beans, sour cream, and sliced corn tortilla shells.  It was spicier than I prefer, but my favorite part of the dish was the accompanying jicama and avocado slaw.  It was light, refreshing, and delicious, and paired really well with the casserole.   


|| Layered Arugula Salad with Pears and Pomegranates | I love when this cookbook provides the perfect inspiration for special gatherings and events.  I made this layered arugula salad for IF:Table at Katy's last week and it was delicious paired with her homemade lasagna and garlic bread.  I substituted the blue cheese with feta and used champagne vinegar instead of the pear vinegar it called for.  It tasted like it looks, pretty and full of flavor.   


|| Chicken and Wild Rice Soup | Another major win with this one!  I loved the chunk chicken breast tossed in flour and thrown right into the soup pot to saute with the onions, celery, and mushrooms.  We simmered this on the stove top all afternoon on Sunday and it definitely hit the spot with some warm bread and goat cheese spread.  The kids even liked this one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...