Sunday, November 21, 2010

'til we dropped...

Today was Cruz’s first out-of-town adventure. I was itching to do some Christmas shopping at Jordan Creek Mall and surprisingly, my husband decided to come along for the ride. After going through his closet the other day, I realized he was in dire need of his once-a-year shop-a-thon. Beau and I balance each other out with our love and need for new clothes. I fill my closet a little (or a lot) at a time; Beau stocks up at Christmas time thanks to the women in his life. He’s resourceful and wears his favorites over and over and over again. This is evident in the fading, wearing, and tearing that is starting to show in even his ‘best.’ After introducing him to the idea of getting 45% off an entire purchase this weekend at the Gap, the idea of spending a Saturday traveling to Des Moines sounded slightly more appealing to him. So, we got up early, bundled up Cruz, and packed in the car for a sure to be adventure.

I guess Cruz isn’t totally his father’s son. While Beau attempted to give numerous pep-talks to our son about crying, pooping, and demanding my breast at all the worst times while shopping, it didn’t work. Cruz embraced all that was shopping and made this mama proud. Looking snug as a bug in his Bundle Me and new puppy hat from the Gap, Cruz slept the entire way there. When the bright lights and hustle and bustle of the busy mall woke him up, he loved all the stimulation. The louder it was, the brighter his eyes got. He sucked away on his pacifier and craned his neck as if to catch all of the commotion he could. And he was quite the show-stopper, and my attention seeking husband was enjoying every minute of it!

What to tuck away from this little day…

-The three of us hanging out in the handicapped dressing room at the Gap. Giving Cruz some leg time and listening to him give his father stamps of approval as he tried on lots of new clothes. I think Cruz and I enjoyed our time in the dressing room more than Beau did!

-Watching Beau put Cruz to sleep in the nursery recliner at Pottery Barn Kids. I knew we should have splurged and bought one of those chairs…

-Buy one, get one free at Starbucks. Waiting 45 minutes for two grande caramel lattes. Not regretting a thing after that first steamy sip.

-45% off an entire purchase at Gap. Mommy, daddy, and baby made out good…

-Family bathrooms at Jordan Creek Mall kick major butt. The set-up, especially the glider rocker in the nursing room, is just about as comfortable as your very own house. I always wanted to move into the mall…

-The look on Cruz’s face as we pushed him through the crowd of Christmas shoppers. His eyes were big and bright, his little hands were tucked up by his face, and he craned his little neck like a big boy to try and see as much as he could.

-Watching Beau and Cruz chill out on a bench in front of Bath and Body Works, people-watching and sharing in lots of new communication. Cruz recently discovered his voice and we can’t get enough of hearing that coo.

-Cruz’s first encounter with Santa Claus! As I was carrying him through the food court, I felt a soft tap on my back. I turned around and was greeted by the jolly one. With a twinkle in his eye (I’m not making this up), he peeked at Cruz and smiled in approval. I have a feeling Santa will be good to our little one this year!

In all the years I’ve been with Beau, I’ve tried to make him a shopper. And now, at just six weeks old, Cruz has fought and prevailed. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...