One of my favorite pictures of the kiddos from last summer. Snapped on my phone while waiting for sno-cones outside the pool. I look at this picture and can smell the chlorine and coconut sunscreen!
It's almost here, folks! The start of summertime. As a student and now teacher, I have always lived for this season of sunshine, for it is a much-needed break from the normal routine that starts to feel a bit heavy after a long, cold winter. The anticipation is always palpable and for weeks leading up to Memorial Day weekend, our family loves to make plans and dream up simple ways to spend our summer days. I love looking back at my blog posts from each of our summers, for we have been blessed to travel the four corners of this country on vacations that created unforgettable memories; yet, it's the simple days I cherish most of all. Watching Cruz devour his first ice cream cone on our back deck, melted ice cream running down his tan chubby fingers. Picnicking at Alice Wyth Lake and blowing out birthday candles on the dock. Strolling down Main Street on the perfect summer night, stopping for coffees at Cup of Joe before crossing the bridge to the park. Planting our first vegetable garden and watching tomato plants grow taller than all of us. Strawberry picking and picnics afterwards. For five summers now, I have been carefully crafting some of our favorite ideas into a summer bucket list to help keep us creative throughout the summer months. It's nothing more than a place for ideas, a fun tradition that I want the kids to help craft with me each summer. One of my favorite parts of this tradition is looking back at each list and recalling sweet memories from every adventure checked. The big, the small, and the unexpected adventures that always come out of nowhere.
Here is our 2015 list. On here for memories and on a poster on our wall for Cruz to keep us accountable. :)
5. Fly a kite with Cruz
6. Picnic at Castle Hill Park
8. Get burgers and ice cream from La Calle and take a stroll through campus afterwards
14. Grill pizzas and drink wine on the deck
15. Experiment with homemade flavored lemonades
23. Road trip to a pizza farm
27. Make homemade popsicles
33. Sit on the deck and watch a storm roll in
34. Visit the Splash Pad
37. Ride bikes around Prairie Lakes Park. Stop to watch the sunset.
38. Explore a city with Beau for our anniversary
43. Run through the sprinklers with the kids
45. Make dinner from farmer’s market finds
48. Go fishing
50. Catch fireflies in mason jars
Happy happy summer!
Happy happy summer!