Thursday, August 29, 2019

Snapshots of a Kindergartener || Mila's Turn


When I think about this summer with you, I get so many pictures in my mind of you being brave.  Before school was even out last spring, you had picked up riding a bike on two wheels in an instant, and it was amazing to watch you grow in confidence in that new space every time you said yes.  You LOVED to ride your bike and I loved to watch you, typically in a little dress with your blonde hair blowing behind you, sitting tall on that seat with the world at your fingertips.  Similarly, you were sure brave at the pool this summer, standing out amongst your timid peers in swimming lessons and saying yes to the deep end, the tube slide, and the high dive, even when I wasn't too sure about you doing it!  On our last day at The Falls, the two of us were in the deep end together and you learned you could pencil dive right to the bottom and touch your toes on the pool floor.  With your eyes wide open, you looked like a mermaid who felt just as comfortable in the water as you did on land.  You even asked me if I thought God made you part mermaid!  I kind of think he did.  




And one of my favorite images of you was in Decorah on our last day camping with the Guess clan.  We were all dressed and ready to head home but went on one more hike in the prettiest area by the trout streams.  And when we happened upon one of the fresh spring water pools, your daddy decided to go all in.  One by one we all followed suit, in our clothes and the kids in their undies, nervously and joyfully shrieking in the freezing cold water as we all egged each other on.  You were one of the last to say yes, but when you finally did, you sure made it count.  In your undies, you stepped in that ice cold water with arms in the air, did your own countdown 1-2-3 and leaped under that water with zero inhibitions.  And you popped up with a smile on your face, spreading joy for all of us on the edge watching.  I'm quite certain God gave you an extra dose in the joy department and I've been thankful for that fruit since the day He gave me you.  




And that, sweetheart, is my prayer for not only your kindergarten year, but every year after that.  That you say yes to opportunities to learn and grow, to try brave new things even when they feel a little risky, and to share all that joy God gave you.  And when you find something you love, like riding a bike or swimming deep in the blue sea (or swimming pool!), go right in, because those are likely the places where you'll feel free.  That taste of freedom, like when you let go of that brake and feel the wind in your face, that's the kind of life God wants for you.  I've learned to find it when I'm outside in God's beautiful creation, going on walks in the woods or piddling around in the garden, when I'm sharing the table and eating good food with people I love, or when I'm using my gifts to help others feel a little more free.  When you find it, hang on to it, nurture it, and don't let the world tell you otherwise.  And above all else, don't lose your joy.  It abounds, from the top of your head to the tips of your toes, and I have a feeling God has great plans to use it for good.




Happy Kindergarten, Mila girl!  This morning, I dropped you off at the playground, you gave me the sweetest neck hug and said, "I love you, mommy!" as you skipped off to the swings to find some friends.  Be brave, dive in, spread joy.  Just as you were made to do.




Some things to note and remember about you as a Kindergartener...



1. You are obsessed with middle names.  But not just middle names given at birth, but what you call "friendly middle names."  Or you really just like to make people laugh.  Beau and I will be in the middle of a serious conversation and you'll randomly ask us what our middle names are.  And then what our friendly middle names are.  By now, you most definitely know our middle names, so it's become more of a point of laughter whenever you ask.  I hope you ask your teacher what her friendly middle name is this week. ;)

2. Although you've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones and won't for many years, you think it's pretty funny to call me your "Mother of Dragons."  And you always do it at the best times.  At the donut shop as I hand you your donut -- "Thanks, Mother of Dragons."  When I'm hounding you about picking up your room -- "Okay, Mother of Dragons."  When I pick you up in the Sunday school room -- "Can I please get a hot chocolate, Mother of Dragons?"

3. You're still hanging on to that perfectly high-pitched baby voice and your dad and I have made you promise to never learn your 'L' sound (or at least for another year or two).  My favorite is your emphatic, "YET'S GO!"  It always makes us smile. 

4. You are well beyond your years in many things, but your dad is most proud of your witty comebacks, your funny one-liners, and your impressive comedic timing.  

5. You LOVE playing with your Bitty Baby lately (I can't keep up with her name because you change it every day) and I'm starting to see glimpses of the way I used to play.  You change her clothes to start the day and at bedtime, always make sure she's wearing weather-appropriate clothing, and tuck her in her bed just so at the end of the night.  A few weeks ago, you made a chart with a smiley face and a sad face and put check marks beside each one based on Bitty Baby's mood.  Before too long, you'll probably start making a schedule for her. ;)

6. You LOVE to sleep in, and remind me of a teenager most mornings as I'm trying to get you out of bed.

7. You are SO loud.  You hurt our ears and remind me of the years your Papa Curt called me "Mabel," referring to a little old lady in my hometown who had the shrillest, loudest voice.  I keep telling you you might be the first kindergartener to visit the principal if you don't learn to control your volume!

8. You are very nuanced in your musical tastes, thanks to the Alexa in your room.  You rarely play in there without some kind of tunes on and it amazes me when a song comes on the radio and you know all the words.  Taylor Swift is your favorite right now, but you also can't sit still when My Lighthouse comes on.

9. You are sweet and affectionate and know dang well that your lip kisses, tight hugs around our necks, and sweet "I love yous" can pretty much get you whatever you want.  But if Beau even so much as raises his voice with you, you break into a sudden sob every time.  He knows he can't yell at you and it's made him a big pile of NO HELP when it comes to disciplining you!

10. Kennedy is still your bestie, but no one in the world matters more to you than your big brother.  You are the best pair together and I hope you always stay close, but man can you get wild sometimes.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...