Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dashing through the non-existent snow (and other ramblings)...

What a busy week it's been!  I knew having my maternity leave fall during the holidays would make it seem to fly by even faster than usual; however, I'm finding time in the midst of Christmas shopping, friend and family get-togethers, and now, Cruz's baptism party, to drown out the hustle and bustle of life and lay around with this guy...


Cruz has been such a trooper this week.  He hit the seven-week mark and is definitely growing, which means more eating, a fuller tummy, lots of sleep, and one content baby.  He's been smiling so much lately, responding to our voices and especially our funny faces.  He watches our mouths as we talk to him and tries his hardest to copy our sounds.  He could lay on a blanket in the middle of the living room floor for an hour at a time, smiling, cooing, and kicking those feet of his.  He's so fun right now, such a joy to us.


I was expecting to show Cruz his first snow tonight; however, it seems the weather people are off to a good start as far as predicting the weather goes (insert sarcasm).  They predicted Waterloo would get 3-6 inches; the last time I looked, we didn't even have a trace.  This is fine with me, as I want Cruz's first 'snow' to be on a night when I'm not so tired...on a night to appreciate and soak in the feeling of being 'snowed in,' with maybe a snow angel or two...  

Tonight and tomorrow, I'm on a cleaning spree.  I've unleashed my 39-week pregnant self again, the one that cleans wine glasses with vinegar water, mops behind the toilet with a mixture of Mr. Clean and bleach, and cleans the kitchen with a four-step process (sweep, vacuum, swifter, wet mop).  The lasagna is made, the pretzels are dipped, and table is set, ready for our after-party on Sunday.  Tomorrow, I'll tackle the living room, which is in dire need of a good cleaning.  My balsam fir wallflower no longer overpowers the baby puke smell lingering on and around the recliner...

Although it's been busy and I've run into a few unfortunate disasters (aka, cake balls), I'm breathing easy on this no-snow Friday night.  We celebrated Starbuck's birthday on Tuesday with pizza at Mulligans.  Cruz was wide awake this time around and was a party animal.  He chugged a long-neck, sat on not one, but two women's laps, and laid on a bar table and watched the game on the big screen.  Luckily, we were able to get him home before he passed out for the night!

Wednesday was Cruz's first sleepover...at his house.  Beau had an early morning meeting in Des Moines on Thursday, so he decided to head down the night before to spend some time with Heiney.  Cruz and I decided to invite Grandma Kelly over for an all-nighter.  Cruz was one happy camper to have so much quality time with Grandma...they got lots of snuggling time in.  Meanwhile, I was able to get a head start on my baptism to-do list, and was even able to avenge and conquer an earlier baking disaster ;).  We got ready for Cruz's big day, but made time for a pizza carpet picnic, some Christmas catalog snooping, and an overdue chick-flick.  Mom and I don't get to do things like that very often and I was thankful for the chance.


But of course, we missed this...

   
Last night, we 'Jingled & Mingled' on Main with Jordan, Kelli, and Julie, while Charly and Cruz stayed at home with my mom, grandma, and grandpa.  They welcomed the opportunity to have the babies to themselves, and we welcomed the chance to snoop in some shops without diaper bags, enjoy good ol' Toads without lugging in a car seat, and share in some adult conversation without baby talk and breast pumps.  



I love this picture for so many reasons.  The frost on the window, the glare of the lights in the backdrop, and the fuzzy snowflake that looks as though I caught it in mid-fall.  Most of all, I love that this picture totally reminds me of one of my favorite Christmas movies, Elf.  "I'm siiiiiiiiiing, I'm in a store, I'm siiiiiiing, I'm in a store..."



I love Cedar Falls for its Main Street and I especially love it during the holidays.  The huddles of women swarming in and out of shops, their tall boots marching up the sidewalks like soldiers on one big, buy-local shopping mission.  Their husbands and boyfriends, hoarding checkbooks and packages under their bar stools as they sit at Toads, wishing the stores were open far later than 8 o'clock.  The cold, crisp air, an excuse to dress in pretty coats, matching scarves, and mittens.  The perfect, yet fitting randomness of passing by Frosty, Mrs. Claus, and an elf or two as we cross the street.  And last but not least, the carriage.  


The real, horse-drawn carriage, offering free rides for smiling children, to meet the one, the only, bearded one, sit on his lap, and whisper sweet wishes of dolls and trucks and Kindles in his ear.  


Last night was fun.  It was fun to snoop around in Peekaboo Baby while sipping a plastic cup of Cabernet, and sneak in and out of the quaint little places...the kitchen shoppe, the candy shop, the coffee shop, and even the yarn shop, knowing that my little one was warm and cozy inside.  

Much to do and the night is flying by.  Tomorrow night we'll thrown on our Christmas finest, wrap our most prized possessions, and celebrate the holidays at Chris & April's 3rd Ugly Sweater Party.  And this year we're bringing a little elf along ;).

Happy Weekend!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...