Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Shots, shots, shots...


Today was a dreaded day...Cruz's two-month check, aka, start of his immunization shots.  The mama bear in me came out in full force and I knew the day would likely be more emotional on me than my little man.  I was lucky that Beau didn't have any appointments scheduled and wanted to go along for moral support.  Since our appointment was at 9, I was also glad to have some help getting out the door on time. 

Cruz slept so good last night; he went to bed around 10, and was still sleeping at 8 this morning.  He looked especially sweet all warm and cozy in his crib this morning, and I hated having to wake him up for such an unpleasant reason. 

Right before the three of us headed out the door, Beau noticed that our kitchen reeked of burnt rubber.  The next thing we noticed was that our dishwasher had stopped mid-cycle.  A broken dishwasher was one thing; however, this broken dishwasher took on a whole new meaning.  See, when we put in our new kitchen two years ago, we kind of installed our flooring around it.  Bad idea, I know, but at the time, it was what worked.  And you don't think about the 'what ifs' when all is working fine.  So, while we drove to the hospital, I thought about how I was going to spoil Cruz after his appointment and Beau thought about how he was going to get a broken dishwasher out of our kitchen... 

Cruz did great at his appointment.  He showed off his excellent tummy time skills, to which our doctor kept referring to as 'beautiful.'  He smiled for him and the nurses, cooed, and showed off his hot naked bod.  A bod that has grown exponentially.  At Cruz's two-week appointment, he weighed 8 lbs., 9 oz.  Today, at nine weeks old, he's 12 lbs., 7 oz.!  His weight is right at the 50th percentile, and his height was 24 inches, 75th percentile.  At this rate, he'll be into his 3-6 month wardrobe before we know it! 

I'll admit, the shots were rough; however, not near as traumatic as I had thought.  Yes, Cruz's eyes got huge when he felt the prick, followed by a serious wail.  And yes, his mom cried and needed some consoling of her own.  But in all reality, Cruz cries just as hard when he is getting lotion after his bath, and the little band-aids looked pretty cute on his chubby little thighs.  He fell asleep almost instantly after the three shots, and we raced home to cuddle our baby.  Someday, I'll stop at Target so he can pick out a toy, but today, he just needed some lovin'. 


I don't think I left the recliner for a straight five hours.  While my poor husband drove all over town looking for a discontinued 'bisque' dishwasher, I rocked and rocked and rocked.  And while Beau chiseled our floor in order to get the old dishwasher out, I rocked some more.  And while Beau climbed under our floor cabinets in order to reach and hook up our new, 'bisque' washer, I continued to rock.  He's not only a really great dad, but a damn good plumber too!  He's a jack-of-all-trades and we love him for it. 

The day ended with a load of clean dishes, an exhausted hubby, and one, immunized baby.  All is well that ends well!

Some pictures of our little chunk.  He's getting more expressive and quite vocal!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...