Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Happiness Project Returns

Although I've managed to stay regular with my blog posts, I have not done the best job of staying true to my Happiness Project. So, during the hundreds of commercials of the four hour Lost series finale, I will add to my list of the simple pleasures that life brings. The simple keys of happiness that fit in the locks perfectly. I think I'm on number 37...

37. As the school year comes to a close, I find myself more relaxed at bedtime. What usually consists of about 2 minutes from the time I lay my head on the pillow to the time I fall into a deep night's sleep, lately, has been a little longer. Longer, as in enough time to flip through the channels, savor the puff cloud of comforter that engulfs me, talk with my husband, and eat apples. Yes, lately, I've been craving nothing more than a juicy apple at 10:30 at night. And something about crunching away on its goodness while turning the page of another night with Beau makes it special. Not to mention, I've heard apples help heartburn.

38. It's been a week since we pulled our families together and announced the addition of a Baby BOY Jorgensen. After the announcement, I've been able to unleash the beginnings of a new obsession...filling Little J's closet. I've already received a few things from family, and have had lots of fun scouring sale racks and lately, garage sale-ing. Every now and then, I sneak up to the spare bedroom, sit on the floor, and snap the buttons on the sleepers, rearrange the clothes on the bed, and thumb through the board books. It's become an escape for me...a place to drown out the noise of the world and focus on my newfound peace.


39. When the first few days of summer sweep through the Midwest, I crave nothing more than an ice cold Corona. Although I will have to wait a few months yet to inaugurate this in the Happiness Project, I have been proud of myself for my idea of compensation for the lack of 'summer drink.' I have decided that from now on, I will only partake in non-alcoholic drinking in fancy glasses. I will drink water out of wine glasses, and Caffeine-free Sprite out of champagne flutes. I will add lemon wedges, or lime slices, or cucumber pieces to my glass, and become a pro at smoothies.

40. Yesterday, I snuck out of the house for an hour to get some sun. I rolled up my tank top and timidly revealed my baby bump to the neighborhood, soaked it in Banana Boat tanning oil, and started my first free read of the summer. Soon after, my neighbor Jim finished mowing his yard and decided to indulge in his own moment of sun-catching. His involved a tall glass of beer and an old CD of 1950s Jazz. I'm usually not one for Jazz; however, at this moment, it couldn't have been more perfect.

41. Spontaneous meals made up of fresh veggies, fruits, and simmering coals. Our first meal outside on the deck. Plucking fresh fruit out of a bowl with our fingers. Watering the flowers and spilling some on our feet. Neighborhood walks as the sun sets.

1 comment:

  1. I still think that baby will need some Twins gear. We can make that happen, whether Beau likes it or not!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...