Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Fever

Last night, I rocked Cruz to sleep in the middle of a thunderstorm. I rested my cheek on the top of his blond head and listened to the rain wash away the long, cold winter. I love a good rain storm, especially at night…the raindrops that rest on the windows, the sounds of cars swishing through the puddles in the streets, and the power and mightiness of a good crack of thunder. Cruz slept like a baby (go figure) during our first rainstorm together, and after nestling him in his cozy crib and retiring to bed myself, I silently praised God for the blessings of a warm house, a little baby, and a new Spring.

Aside from the mid-thirty degree temps that just won’t seem to go away, spring is indeed here and I have the fever...

SPRING FEVER.

Spring is the green grass that’s starting to envelop our front lawn. Those unnoticed window boxes just waiting for some fresh dirt and pretty blooms. The need to open my freshly cleaned windows and suck in the fresh air outside. Spring is that salad with cucumbers, that burger on the grill, and that neighborhood walk at 6:00 in the daylight. Spring is a no-coat-necessary, buy-a-new-pair-of-flip-flops, wear-a-cute-summer-dress, and be-outside-as-much-as-possible mentality, even if it’s just grabbing the mail, pulling the garbage out, or walking into school from the parking lot. Tasks that are so hard to do in the winter become easy in the spring. Moods become lighter, days become longer, and life just becomes sweeter.

So what's screaming Spring to me at home this week?  

...A trip to Bath and Body Works to scope out the seasonal Wallflowers, including scents that smell so good, you'd rather pour them down your throat instead of plug them into your wall.  Scents of Peach Bellini, Caribbean Salsa, and Pink Sangria now fill my house and each room becomes a new destination.  

...Pastels.  A pink cardigan, a bottle of Victoria's Secret lotion, and a brand new baby food cookbook, covered in fuzzy baby chick yellow.
 

...A new salad.  Fresh greens, some craisins, bacon (of course), and a warm Gorgonzola cheese dressing.


...A baby dressed in (baby) blue.  A baby who loves to 'talk,' and looks at you so intently, trying his best to communicate with you, as if his language makes absolute sense to him.  I often imagine him as one of the babies in "Look Who's Talking," and wonder what he's thinking about in that little head of his.





...Cruz has this new thing.  Lately, whenever we lie on a blanket together, he'll reach up high on his tummy, shoot me this wide-mouthed grin, then turn his head the other way and bury his face into the blanket.  Then, he'll turn his head, glance at me from the corner of his eyes, reach up, and attempt to put a spell on me with the same smile all over again.  It works every time.  







...A walk in the neighborhood.  Hooded sweatshirts, cozy blankets, and one content baby.   



I can't believe it's just about April.  I've just about made it through another school year.  Cruz is just about six months...a half year old!  Seriously, where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...