Monday, March 7, 2011

A New Hobby (Obsession)

Well, cross it off the list...I have officially discovered the world of homemade baby food.  And let's just say, I don't think our son will be short on fruits and veggies anytime soon. 



I went overboard.

Instead of a new purse or a coat, some clothes or a Kindle, I chose to spend my Christmas money on a Beaba Babycook.  At first I was a little skeptical, as it cost a pretty penny for the cute little appliance; however, after seeing one for real at Williams Sonoma, I knew I had to have it.





It's brilliant.  An adorably tiny little device that steams, purees, defrosts, and reheats veggies, fruits, pastas, and meats into perfect little portions of tasty baby food.  I pick out some veggies, preferably whatever is going to be our supper on any given night, dice 'em up, and throw 'em in the steamer.  Turn the switch, throw in a load of laundry, play peekaboo with Cruz, and in fifteen minutes time, I have freshly steamed veggies.  Then, with a two minute pulse and some tasting (just to make sure it's smooth enough), I pop it into individual portions of an ice cube tray.  It's so fun, so easy, and so yummy.  Who would've thought I'd be licking the remainder of Cruz's baby food?!  Delicious!

When it comes to cooking, I tend to go a little overboard.  When I can't decide which sides to make for a get-together with family, I choose to make them all.  I boil a pound of spaghetti when we really need half, and mash eight potatoes for the two of us.  And since I haven't done much hosting since becoming a mom, I think I found my new 'food drug.' 



My audience for the day...


I started with carrots.  Moved on to apples.  Continued with pears, and ended with a trio of 'root' vegetables: carrots, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.  It smelled like Thanksgiving in my kitchen and I filled four entire ice cube trays with baby gourmet. 


This week, I have big plans.  Big plans that involve broccoli and potatoes, green beans and tomatoes, turnips, apricots, and maybe even an avocado.  Baby guacamole.   


Did Cruz enjoy his first taste of 'people food?'  Did he squeal and smile and open his mouth like a baby bird, waiting anxiously for the next bite?  Or did he make a sour face and gag, spit his carrots out and turn his face away when the spoon got close?  I guess you'll have to stay tuned to find out!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...