Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Glennon Melton

"Reality and writing work together to create my memories, and the final result is that I remember events more beautifully than they actually happened.  Or maybe in writing them down, I'm able to see for the first time how beautiful they really were." 

-Glennon Melton

I just finished reading Glennon Melton's new book, "Carry on, Warrior, Thoughts on Life Unarmed" and I'm convinced I could pick it up and start all over again.  I've dog-eared nearly every page of her text and love her and hate her at the same time for her ability to describe exactly what's in my head far more eloquently than I ever could.  She may be one of the best writers I have read in a long time and I related to so much of her perspective, her faith, and her thoughts on raising kids.  She's funny, too, and combines her humor with rich depth in a way that makes you want to take a magnifying glass to your own life and explore how to be better and do better.  

Sometimes, I wonder why I spend so many hours spilling thoughts and memories onto this blog space.  And sometimes, about once every few months, I lay awake at night wondering what will ever happen to my blog, my unprinted pictures, and these memories I've tried to capture for my family and future generations.  And then I read Glennon's essay, Treasure Hunt, and I'm reminded that this blog space is my own treasure hunt.  It's my way of navigating through the minefields of life in order to find the beauty.  And oftentimes when I write, I see things differently, more beautifully than before.  Writing and reality work together to create this box of memories for me and remind me to witness and remember all things - the happy things, the small things, and the sad things.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...