Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hello Punctuation Mark

Dear Baby J...

Last night, I told your dad about your arrival in a bitterly cold car in the parking lot of Dillard's. We were at the mall for Beau's once-a-year shop-a-thon. He desperately needed new dress clothes and I was desperately craving coconut shrimp from Red Lobster. It was a moment I will never forget. A Cubbie board book (Beau is convinced your first words will be "friendly confines") and a little Cubs t-shirt later, we were hugging and looking at each other with those awkwardly lovely googley eyes (reminiscent of the night we got engaged and wedding day). Your dad cried (only you and Ron Santo have earned this honor), and it was a moment I will never forget.

The rest of the night was a whirlwind. As if shopping with your father isn't hard enough. Imagine walking through the store, looking at ties and dress shirts, only to find your husband staring at you with this goofy smile on his face. We managed to find some clothes, however, and even snuck over to the baby's section to scope out their winter clearance racks. I have a feeling you are going to be one pricey peanut.

I also experienced my first feeling of nausea last night. I've never had the urge to vomit and jump for joy at the same time before. Minutes later, however, I settled my stomach with a chocolate chip cookie from Great American Cookies and a glass of water. No, it wasn't a nice hunk of celery, but you didn't seem to mind :).

About an hour later, I topped off my bit of nausea with none other than Red Lobster. Eyeing the Passion Coladas and Strawberry Margaritas, I donned them away with a nice glass of water. In between bites of warm cheddar biscuits, coconut shrimp with pina colada sauce, and seafood mushrooms, Beau and I covered the baby basics: When should we tell our parents? I can't wait to tell Grandma J! How will I decorate the nursery? Should we buy a membership to Sam's Club? What kind of flooring should we put in the baby's room? Questions circulated amidst giggles.

After dinner, I'm sorry to say we are already earning the label for "uncool parents." Instead of a late-night movie, we settled for a trip to Menards and an episode of 24. Uncool to say the least.

So, Soybean, the journey to parenthood has begun. Hang on tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...