Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Happiness Project...

This week, it's all about the small things. It seems like my weeks at school keep getting busier and busier. Halfway through a Masters paper, coordinating the junior/senior prom, tackling lesson plans for two new books in my 9th grade curriculum, getting ready for a tenure track job search, and tackling the weekly, massive piles of grading, all work together to keep my to-do list at times, unmanageable. But...amidst the grading, planning, teaching, reflecting, prepping, and meeting that my wonderful job entails, there is a break in sight. Thanks to the ultra-talented NU Boys Basketball Team, this week will be a fun, stress-free week of traveling back and forth to and from Des Moines to cheer on the Panthers at the State Basketball Tourney. Then, it's a week off for Spring Break! I think I can make it!

So...as the Happiness Project continues, I'm making sure I'm squeezing in some time to enjoy the small, unexpected, wonderful things that make their way into my life on a daily and weekly basis.

6.) As much as I love friends and nights out with them, nights at home are sometimes just as nice. Last night, after a full week of schedules, meetings, and obligations, I celebrated a night at home...all to myself. Beau went to a birthday celebration/guy's night out, so I treated myself to a blanket, some cozy sweats, a chick flick, and a Pappa John's delivery...

...all to myself.
...This welcomed night to myself ended much earlier than I had anticipated, as I fell asleep on the couch before the clock struck 11. But, I had time to catch up on last week's 'Idol,' catch up with Mom on the phone, and eat some delicious pepperoni pizza dipped in garlic sauce.

7.) Spring has Sprung in Iowa. Did you know until this weekend, our great state hadn't enjoyed above 40-degree temps. in 94 days? This 40 degree heat wave sent a fever to all of Iowa...a Spring fever. My students were wearing capris to school, Beau fired up the smoker, and Iowa's more ambitious hit the streets for a jog. I put away the Uggs, bought some Dilly Bars from Dairy Queen, and waited in a long line at the car wash. Soon, the bikes will be out, the deck furniture will be set, and the days will keep their eyes open a little bit longer. I. can't. wait.

8.) Spring means Easter. Easter means candy. Specifically, Starburst Jelly Beans, Malted Milk Easter Eggs, and my favorite, Cadberry Bunny Eggs. Pastels, pretty dresses, and a baby shower in the works. Jelly beans are fat free, but I'm pretty sure that delicious white filling in a Cadberry Egg is the equivalent of a meal in itself. I'd better take it easy!

9.) I officially made my teacher-debut in the Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier this week. I organized a contest at school called, 'Poetry Out Loud,' giving students the chance to step out of their comfort zones and perform a famous poem of their choosing. We had a school competition and sent one student, Jyothi, to the State Competition in Des Moines. We took her yesterday and she blew me away with her poise, her talent, and her confidence. I thought she had it in the bag, which meant a trip for her and I to Washington D.C. to perform at the National Competition. To my surprise, Jyothi received 3rd place. 3rd place in the entire state. 3rd place, against students from Valley, Sioux City, Des Moines North, and Mason City. I was extremely proud of her and she's already talking about next year! If only all my students were as devoted and driven!

Here's the link for the article.

10.) Sundays at home are always welcomed. UNI won the MVC tournament, which guarantees them a bid in the NCAA tourney. Beau finally helped me get the Christmas garland down from the front porch. I polished my two glass cabinets in the kitchen. Caught up on grading. Caught up on laundry. Sipped on hot cocoa and helped my cat rescue 17 play mice from underneath the couch. Soaked in a tub of bubbles.

11.) The Oscars are on tonight. I don't think I've ever missed the Oscars. Waiting for my favorite stars to grace the red carpet, picking favorite dresses out with Mom, and cheering for certain movies to win the awards are some favorite childhood memories of mine. If only the Academy didn't hate my movie-star crush, Leo.

Someday, I want to have an Oscar night party. I want to eat hors-oeuvres, drink champagne out of pretty glasses, and see all the movies up for the awards ahead of time. Oscar Party is added to my Bucket List.

1 comment:

  1. I, LOVE, Cadberry eggs! The minute I see Easter decor in the store… I go a searchin!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...