Tuesday, April 6, 2010

First Appointment

(written during week 12, March 18, 2010)

Today, at 9:00 am, Beau and I heard our baby's heartbeat. I woke up this morning feeling a little bit all over the place. I hadn't slept the best the night before and the morning came awfully quick. I was excited, but anxious at the same time. I get that way when I'm about to do something that I don't know what to expect.

Beau on the other hand was crazy excited. He acted similar to the way he did the morning we left for our honeymoon. He asked me how I was feeling and informed me multiple times that he was 'really excited.'

The hospital was quiet on a Thursday morning. It was beautiful outside. Sunny and warm, with temperatures ready to climb to the mid 60s. The last time we had walked through the doors of the hospital, we were anxiously awaiting the arrival of our niece. Today, we knew where we were going and were on a mission to finally have the confirmation we needed for our own arrival.

They do not mess around when it comes to finding that heartbeat. A few questions, a few signatures, and a "hop on the table and pull your shirt up." The nurse warned us that because our baby is the size of a citrus fruit, the heartbeat might be hard to find. In fact, she told us she might not be able to find it. Then, almost simultaneously, she put the thingy on my tummy and we heard the coolest sound ever.

buh-bump, buh-bump, buh-bump, buh-bump...

A heartbeat, within about .2 seconds. The first evidence of the life that is growing inside of me. The first evidence that Beau and I are going to be parents! That we will be responsible for another living and breathing human being in 6 and a half months!

After hearing that heartbeat, I no longer felt like one person. I am not only taking care of myself, but now have another heart beating inside of me. The heartbeat of a baby boy or girl that is going to surround our worlds with a whole new kind of love.

The baby was not only dependable (right where it needed to be for the nurse), but it was excited to make itself known to us. Its heartbeat was fast, 158. That confirmed Beau's prediction of a baby girl, although I'm still thinking boy.

Beau was so funny! He was his usual, witty self when we got there, casually asking the nurse if he should sit on the hospital bed, and pointing out that the heartbeat detector looked like a breathalizer (telling me they must be prepared for me). It wasn't until he heard the sound that that 'breathalizer' made that my husband grew speechless. After that, I did the talking. I asked Dr. Weno questions, answered questions, and even gave Beau the opportunity to ask his own; however, Beau, yes, Beau, had nothing to say.

After we left the room and went to reception to book my 16-week and 20-week appointment, Beau suddenly remembered his question:

Beau (completely out of the blue): "Can she eat lunch meat?"

The receptionist, who typically doesn't have to answer prenatal questions about lunch meat, smiled and assured Beau that a little every now and then would not hurt me or the baby. Afterwards, we treated ourselves to breakfast at Village Inn. Eggs, hasbrowns, pancakes, processed bacon, and a big glass of chocolate milk to celebrate. Ironically, we hadn't eaten breakfast at that Village Inn since the morning after we got engaged. Funny how, five years later, the circumstances were different, but the feelings were very similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...