Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Sunday of Life

Today was a sunny, 70 degree day. A storybook kind of day. So 'storybook', that the papers could wait to be graded, the laundry could wait to be sorted, and the dishes could wait to be put away. Beau and I needed the kind of day we used to be really good at. A day of exploring, of laughter, of silly talk, of dreams, and plans.

This day was full of spring. Of life, and growth, and this overwhelming sense of 'new.' I love the season of spring for the sense of a fresh start that comes with it. The rain will come indeed, sometimes for longer periods than expected, sometimes clouding and flooding our hearts and minds with hurt. Although the rain will surely pour, the comfort lies in the fact that somehow, that rain changes the earth in distinct ways. The sun shines when the rain dries.

Today was spring. Lots of it. I could feel it from the tips of my dirt-stained toes to the top of my wind-blown head. As I laid my head on my pillow and kissed my husband and another weekend goodbye, I'm pretty sure I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

26. The day started with church at Orchard. I sometimes wish we had the opportunity to begin each day with church. Then, I suppose, it would lose some of its excitement. I feel so blessed to have found a church to look forward to each week. We heard 'Stories from the Seats,' this week, a sermon series that uses the real and raw stories of its members to move and inspire new and existing members at church. The stories today were amazing. They reminded me of God's all-knowing presence during all the times of our lives. The times when he seems far away are actually the times He's listening the closest. "Blessed be Your name!"

27. After church, Beau and I had lunch on our deck. Check that. Beau, Jade, and I had lunch on our deck. Beau and I feasted on a smorges board of Hot Pockets, yogurt, potato chips, and string cheese, and Jade feasted on the abundance of grass in our backyard. She was our herbivorous lawn mower. She even chased a squirrel up a tree, then stood frozen in fear as the squirrel made a crazy noise at her from its limb up above. I went to rescue her and she was more than appreciative.

28. A bike ride was definitely in the plan for the day ahead; however, we decided to go on a drive to scope out a possible route. We found this secluded little dirt trail not too far from the river and decided to explore. We hung our feet over the bridge and talked like kids, spotted unusually tame deer about 100 feet away from us, and found the makings of a meth lab. Most of all, we found this lovely little place to help expand our nature loving instincts all summer long.

29. The first hour of our bike ride was splendid. We biked from our house to George Wyth, leisurely stopping at every bridge and lookout, and continued to spot lots of deer. I was proud of my endurance and Beau and I had a great time planning our future family bike rides and camping trips. It wasn't until we couldn't find a new way home and had to turn around that I started losing my energy and enthusiasm. I began my usual end-of-bike-ride whine, stopping more frequently, coasting more frequently, and sweating more profusely. By the time we got about a half mile from home, Beau finally gave up on me, left me on a park bench, and raced home to come rescue me with our car. As much as I hate to admit this, I gave up. I blamed it on being pregnant. Beau, like most things, took it like a sport and rescued his damsel in distress like the knight-in-shining-armor he is!

30. Afterwards, we quenched our biked-out bodies with a Cherry Limeade from Sonic. I recovered quickly after that! We stuck our arms out the sunroof, listened to 'Bad Romance' by Lady Gaga, and shared tator tots.

31. We ended the night with some Sunday night TV, sweatpants, and air-popped marshmallow popcorn. Beau pops the popcorn. I melt the marshmallows. Teamwork at its best. This combination screams comfort to me. I love curling up on the couch after a long day in the sun, each with our own bowl of popcorn, blankets, and a remote control.

This day was spring. And for that, I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...